On Christmas morning, when photos are inevitable, it’s important to me that I don’t look like a complete hot mess. You might love coming down on Christmas morning in my pajamas, always at the crack of dawn because of Christmas excitement, but that doesn’t mean you have to look like you just rolled out of bed (complete with bed head and bags under your eyes).
This year, set aside a few minutes before you head down to open presents and pull yourself together. You’ll thank me now, on Christmas morning, and in 20 years when you’re looking through your photo albums.
- Prep your hair. I almost always braid my hair at night and when I wake up it has a nice wave. If yours doesn’t, then braid it, pull it into a low ponytail, pull a piece from each side and clip it in the back, or try a top knot. A simple hair-do in the morning (or the night before) will help you feel pulled together and look great in your photos.
- Put on some makeup. You just woke up, and everyone knows that, so I’m not saying you should put on a full face of makeup. But a little coverup, some lipgloss, and some blush will make your face look more awake and fresh for those photos!
- Wear your cute pajamas. I like to wear my pajamas all through present opening on Christmas morning. It’s comfy and festive, I think. But instead of rolling out of bed and heading to the tree, throw on your cutest pajamas (probably not the ones you’re sleeping in). Alternatively, try a pair of leggings and an oversized sweater or sweatshirt for a cute, comfy look.
- Let there be light! With all those pictures being snapped, make sure your windows are open and the maximum light is let in. Natural light will brighten your skin tone and all the other colors in the room so your photos look clear and beautiful!
- Don’t be shy. Sometimes, when I’m in my pajamas with very little makeup, I want to hide from the camera. But when I look back at photos I’m grateful that I have pictures of me with my babies and my husband on Christmas morning. So don’t be shy — get in the frame and take some beautiful pictures!
Find more of Merrick’s style and writing at Merrick’s Art.