I am a huge fan of over-sized comfy clothes- especially in the winter! I’ve seen a few of these cozy-looking tops available for sale a few different places and thought to myself, “I could DIY that for 1/4 of the price in about 5 minutes.” Sure enough, I got a yard of fleece for $4.99 and I was able to do the 2 seams and 1 cut required to make this cozy top in the time it took to boil pasta for lunch. Easy, warm and ridiculously comfortable!
Stay Warm and Comfy! 1 of 7
Click through to see how quick and easy it is!
Gather Your Supplies 2 of 7
1. One yard of fabric — You'll want something cozy and somewhat thick, like fleece or a heavier knit. If you're not a fan of hemming (I hate it), go with something that won't fray!
2. A shirt with a neckline you like — You'll be using it as a template. I like v-necks on myself but a scoop would work just as well.
3. Scissors — To cut your neckline.
4. Needle & thread or a sewing machine — 2 straight seams. You can do this!
5. You MAY want an iron — Up to you!
Mark Your Neckline 3 of 7
Fold your fabric in half horizontally where your shoulders will be (the fold at the top of the picture) then in half vertically so you can line up your neckline (the fold on the right side of the picture). Mark your neckline where you'll want to cut it. If you plan on hemming, make sure to leave a seam allowance. Don't cut it yet though! Otherwise you'll have a vee in front AND back.
Cut Your Neckline 4 of 7
Open up your fabric then fold it vertically and cut out the neckline you just marked. Cut a shallow curve for the back of your neck.
And Then Sew 5 of 7
Fold along the shoulder line again (right sides together) and sew up the sides, leaving holes for your arms. Hem the neckline, if you'd like. Normally I wouldn't bother but I had some time to kill. Iron if necessary. I had to do the neckline. Knits can get wavy when you sew small hems.
Cuff Your Sleeves 6 of 7
Turn your top right side out and cuff your sleeve. You don't have to, but it adds a little polish to an otherwise very un-polished top.
Wear It! 7 of 7
Since this is a VERY loose top, I suggest keeping things very fitted on your lower half with skinny jeans or leggings. Add boots to complete the cozy look!