Do you remember those long jumper dresses and floppy denim hats that moms and daughters would sport back in the early ’90s? Yeah… uh, me neither. My mom totally never made me wear them. And we definitely never made puffy paint decorated sweatshirts to wear in family Christmas photos, either… Alright! So maybe I was a victim of bad mommy-and-me ’90s fashion. But since becoming a mother in the 21st century, I definitely see the appeal. I love matching my baby daughter’s clothes to mine, but in a less literal way. Instead of buying mini me outfits for her to wear, I do other things like make sure the colors of our clothes are complimentary, or coordinate our patterns. It’s lots of fun, and I don’t think she’ll mind looking back on the photos too much.
If you’re interested in trying some non-cheesy mommy-and-me outfits with your toddler daughter, check out my picks in the gallery below!
Coordinate with your daughter in a bold color scheme with playful polka dots
- red jeans available from Macy's for $99.50
- polka dotted sweater available from ModCloth for $42.99
- polka dotted toddler top available from Gap for $19.95
- black jean leggings available from Gap for $24.95
Show off your mutual love for the animal kingdom with these animal motifs and vegan skinny pants.
- leather look pants available from Topshop for $64
- leopard print sheer blouse available from ASOS for $28.69
- ruffle bib henley shirt available from Macy's for $29.50
- animal print jeans available from Nordstrom for $58
Go bold with classy '60s style in two coordinating shift dresses.
- white ruffle dress available from ASOS for $236.26
- black and white shift dress available from Nordstrom for $64
Go for a sweet and preppy look with these cute coordinating outfits.
- high waist crop jeans available from Topshop for $80
- peter pan collar breton top available from Boden for $54
- peter pan collar striped toddler set available from bibaloo for $68.47
Cultivate your child's inner nerd while showcasing your own!
- Black high waisted skinny jeans available from ASOS for $148.51
- Nerdy t-shirt available from ModCloth for $34.99
- Star Wars t-shirt available from Nordstrom for $28
- Black jeggings available from The Children's Place for $12
Check out more of Mandi’s writing at Making Nice in the Midwest.
Follow Mandi on Twitter and Pinterest too!