If you’ve thought about your own identity being stolen but haven’t ever thought about child identity theft, it’s a surprisingly real phenomenon, because kids are blank credit slates. Identity thieves are always using web crawling software to locate information like birth dates, Social Security numbers, and names that are pieced together to create a brand new identity. Thieves covet social security numbers from our kids because they’re clean credit slates. They can spend years using a child’s identity to take out loans, open credit cards, etc. because the rightful owners won’t find out until they open their first credit card or take out college loans years later.
By then it’s too late and the damage has been done. Just as an adult’s credit can be a time consuming hassle to fix, the same amount of time and effort is spent repairing a child’s credit score. How do you keep your kids’ personal information safe to prevent their identity from being stolen?
Other posts by Leticia you might like:
- 13 Awesome Tech Gadgets to Snag for the School Year
- 10 Foreign Language Learning Apps to Foster Bilingualism
- Protect Digital Devices from Disaster: 4 Must Have Products
- Winning Ways to Washi Tape Up Your Workplace
- Secrets to Unplugging? 7 Tech Power Users Share Digital Wellness Strategies