Crafts & Activities

How to Create a Launch Pad for Easier Mornings

By Just Heather |

One of the things that helps us get moving quickly in the mornings is our entryway launch pad. Here we have everything we need to get out the door on time. Homework? Shoes? Keys? Check, check, and check!

It was a slow process, but we’ve finally pieced together everything we need for an organized entry that doubles as our morning command center. It’s a complicated system, but it keeps my chaos in check. Here is what you need:

• Wreath Hangers: Using over-the-door hooks, I keep the backpacks off the floor and at the door where we need them. The girls can grab their bag on the way out the door. I have a 2nd one on our other door for my favorite reusable grocery bag, too.

• Charging Station: This was quite possibly my greatest Black Friday purchase EVER. With the surge bar hidden and the cords contained, we have room for all of our phones to charge right at the front door.

• Return Basket: Having a place in your entry for things that need to be returned is essential for avoiding late fees. No more overdue library books or Redbox rentals!

• Key Hanger: A spot for the keys is one of the first things we hung in the entryway. There’s a hook for each of us and family pictures to boot. Although, one of them may or may not be the original photo that came with the frame several years ago.

• Coat Rack: Coats, umbrellas, and my purse are hung on hooks for grab-and-go simplicity. The fact that there’s a mirror attached is a handy bonus for final checks as you walk out the door.

• Storage Bench: Here is where I contain the various paraphenalia that used to land on the entryway floor — gloves, hats, and scarves in the winter, beach towels, sunscreen, and swim gear in the summer! And, the bench gives the girls a place to sit while they put their shoes on before we walk out the door.

• Storage Bins: I love having a storage bin for each member of the family. It’s the perfect way to keep the “extras” we always want to keep by the entrance. A pair of shoes, wallet, binders for evening activities, etc. Upgrading from a 6-cube organizer to the Martha Stewart 8-cube system even gave the dog her own bin for leashes and her harness. We use the extra bins for keeping things that need to go to other people. I always seem to have a pile of stuff for my mom and best friend. This keeps it accessible when I’m off to see them.

What helps you stay organized in the mornings?

A big thanks to The Home Depot for sponsoring this campaign. Click here to see more of the discussion.

Follow Heather on Twitter, Pinterest, and her blogs.

More from Heather:
Receipt Storage & Tax Organization
The Hidden Cost of Disorganization
Controlled Chaos: Family Calendar Management

More on Babble.com:
10 Smart Websites to Simplify Your Life
12 Simple Solutions for Everyday Problems

About Just Heather

justheather

Just Heather

Heather Sokol babbles about shoes, cocktails, and, mostly, her family. She and her geeky husband are raising four kids and losing sanity daily. They live their gluten free life on a budget while Heather shares her deals, tips and coupon savvy. Read more on her blog Just HeatherTwitter or Pinterest. Read bio and latest posts → Read Heather's latest posts →

« Go back to Crafts & Activities

16 thoughts on “How to Create a Launch Pad for Easier Mornings

1. laurenjimeson says:

These are great ideas! I am always losing my keys and to have a special place for them right by the door is a great idea!

2. Jessie says:

i have a storage bench and i love it too. it’s so useful for putting on shoes and i love putting stuff in it that’s unsightly and junky!

3. Carol Ann says:

A coat rack with a mirror: pure brilliance! Why don’t I see this more?!

4. Texas Mom says:

What a good idea to use wreath hangers instead of a big bulky over-the-door rack. These are usually pretty cheap, and this way you can move them around!

5. Kelly K. says:

yeah, i defn. have to have something right by the door for my keys otherwise i forget them EVERY time!

6. Carol Ann says:

OMG totally need to do that return basket! I probably waste way too much money every month from just forgetting return things. What a simple yet ingenius idea, thanks!

7. Gretchen says:

the charging station is perfect! we’re constantly losing either our chargers or phones at my house.

8. dadcamp says:

OMG. Summer is only half over .. why must this reminder come??

Thanks for it, though. Our second enters preschool a couple of days a week this fall. Now 2 to get out the door before 830! At least they have school uniforms, so no arguing over what to wear!

9. Whit says:

Launch pad is right. Mornings are crazy in these parts and every bit of help is appreciated. Thanks for the ideas.

10. Best TV Prices says:

I feel this is one of the so much vital information for me. And i’m glad reading your article. But should observation on some common things, The web site style is wonderful, the articles is in point of fact excellent : D. Good activity, cheers

11. YOYO-RO มันๆๆ says:

You already know thus considerably with regards to this matter, produced me individually believe it from a lot of numerous angles. Its like men and women aren’t fascinated until it’s something to do with Woman gaga! Your personal stuffs nice. Always handle it up!

12. nokia 6300 says:

Thanks for any other informative website. The place else could I get that type of info written in such a perfect manner? I’ve a venture that I am just now operating on, and I’ve been on the look out for such info.

13. photovoltaik versicherung vergleich says:

You are truly a just right webmaster. The site loading speed is incredible. It kind of feels that you are doing any distinctive trick. In addition, The contents are masterwork. you have performed a wonderful process on this subject!

14. Internet Marketing says:

You could definitely see your enthusiasm within the paintings you write. The sector hopes for even more passionate writers like you who aren’t afraid to mention how they believe. Always go after your heart.

15. Click to see pat mcmanus and rock in prevention says:

I have been browsing on-line greater than three hours today, but I never found any interesting article like yours. It is beautiful price enough for me. Personally, if all website owners and bloggers made just right content as you did, the net will be much more useful than ever before.

16. Vehicle Security Essex says:

You could certainly see your enthusiasm within the work you write. The sector hopes for even more passionate writers such as you who aren’t afraid to mention how they believe. Always go after your heart.