If you have a toddler you know that they often display some really crazy behavior.
The worst though is when they exhibit that behavior in public in a way that breaks just about every unwritten, or sometimes written, social rule. And they do it without any thought to how their behavior affects other people, especially you, their embarrassed parent.
We all know toddlers don’t have the same filters as the rest of us regarding their public behavior. Here are some of the top ways toddlers break social norms with no shame.
1. Eating Food Off The Floor 1 of 10We've all either seen, or had our own toddler do it: They spot a fallen cracker, raisin, piece of candy, or even gum on the ground. Stop. Crouch. Pick up and pop right into their mouth. Gross!
2. Dressing in Crazy Clothes 2 of 10Toddlers love to exert their independence in dressing themselves. The problem is they don't really know what matches, or what is appropriate clothing for them to wear in public, or for their gender. They wear what they want, wherever they want, and don't you try to make them do otherwise!
3. Talking About Other People Like They’re Not There 3 of 10Don't you love it when your toddler makes some really inappropriate remark about someone who can totally hear what they are saying. The worst is in a public restroom - "Eeww, mom, who made that noise? Are they pooping? They should say excuse me!"
4. Stripping Their Clothes Off Anywhere and Everywhere 4 of 10Why can't toddlers keep their clothes on? I have a friend whose daughter can't stand it if her clothes get a little bit wet and will just strip her clothes off no matter where they are. This includes her bathing suit at the beach - aren't bathing suits supposed to get wet?
5. Picking Their Noses Or Putting Their Hand Down Their Pants 5 of 10When my daughter met her new teacher for the first time at her preschool open house she had her thumb in her mouth and her finger up her nose. Nice.
6. Licking Anything They Can Get Their Mouth On 6 of 10It seems like kids need to explore the world with their mouths. One time at the grocery store I had a cart with a double seat so my kids could sit next to each other, as I'm going through the check out line they start sticking their tongues out and trying to lick each other. It was like they were having a sword fight with their tongues. It was so gross, but all I could do was shake my head and laugh because it was hilarious too.
7. Staring At People That Are In Close Proximity 7 of 10Toddlers are so perceptive and interested in everything that's going on around them. They will just stand in front of someone and stare at them taking in everything about what they are doing, but it gets a little awkward when they are still staring after several minutes have gone by.
8. Attaching Themselves to Stranger’s Legs 8 of 10"Hey, that's not my mom?!" The look on kids faces when they look up and realize the person they've just attached themselves to is not their mom or dad is priceless!
9. Paying No Attention To Where They Are Going 9 of 10Kids will walk through the mall, run on the playground, or push a grocery cart through the store, without any concern that there are other people around them. They end up either running right into someone, or they make everyone around move out of their way. "Watch where you're going!" has no effect on remedying the situation.
10. Using The World As Their Bathroom 10 of 10Whether at the beach, the park, or even the backyard, toddlers will just drop their pants and go to the bathroom, usually announcing it to the world at the same time. "Mom, I have to PEE!" Hey, when you gotta go, you gotta go!
Tell us the funniest/worst story of a social norm your toddler has broken in public!
1. Flickr/Poldavo (Alex)
2. Emily @ Live Renewed
3. Flickr/Keoni Cabral
4. Flickr/Beverly & Pack
10. Emily @ Live Renewed