Best Travel Toy EVERLauren Hartmann
Of course I keep a variety of toys and activities in my arsenal when it comes to travel distractions, but during our last trip to Florida, I found the holy grail of travel toys: Melissa & Doug “Water Wow” Coloring Books.
I’ve wasted way more money than I care to admit on travel toys for Fern and I really wish I’d found this sooner, because it has trumped all the other travel toys by a landslide. Here are the reasons why it’s an awesome toy and perfect for toddlers:
1. No mess. Toddlers are messy. This is not. Win.
2. It doesn’t matter if they try to eat it. I’ve tried taking coloring books and crayons on trips before, but I end up spending more time trying to keep Fern from eating the crayons than she actually spends coloring. This “coloring” book comes with a little water brush/pen that when applied to the “magic” pad, makes the colors appear. Fern still tries to suck on the pen, but I don’t have to worry about it, because it’s just water.
3. The package. Little did I know, but apparently the little plastic packaging that holds the water pen also doubles as entertainment in its own rite. Fern seems to have just as much fun taking the pen in and out of the package as she does coloring in the book. Also, the package helps so you don’t lose the pen!
4. It’s reusable. With the scribbling that kids tend to do, typical coloring books only last so long, but the cool thing about this “Water Wow” coloring pad is that once the water dries, the color disappears, so your child can color the same picture over and over. And since toddlers love repetition, it’s perfect for them.
5. No pieces to lose. In the past, I have made the mistake of bringing toys on trips that have a lot of pieces. Not a good choice. All of these separate pieces will inevitably end up under the seat in front of you, so don’t waste your time. This is perfect because all you have is a pen and a pad instead of a million crayons for your kid to eat or throw.
6. Provides non-travel fun too. Even when we’re not traveling, this water pad has become one of my daughter’s current activities of choice. So versatile.
7. The price. For $4.99 you really can’t beat it. Way better than that baby-proof iPhone activity case I bought for one of our trips. Total fail. Toddlers want the full iPhone experience…not just a lame plastic case.
In summation – if you plan on traveling with your toddler this summer, or anytime, you need these Water Wow Coloring Pads. I promise I am not being compensated for sharing this product – I just genuinely think it’s fantastic and wanted to do my duty by sharing this important PPSA (Parenting Public Service Announcement).
Lauren Hartmann is the founder of The Little Things We Do, a blog about life and adventures in Portland Oregon. Follow her on Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram or catch up on all of her posts here on Babble. More from Lauren:
- 5 Tips For Keeping Your Cool With a Frustrating Toddler
- 12 Reasons I Don’t Really Want Another Baby
- That Awkward Moment When…Toddler Parent Edition
- My 15 Favorite Summer Fashions For Toddler Girls
- 5 Ways Motherhood Makes Us More Beautiful