So much of the holidays are about family traditions. We’ve been talking about this a lot recently in our house. Casey and I both have different holiday traditions and memories that we cherish from our childhoods (okay, mostly me). And while I certainly plan to carry some of my favorite traditions forward, I’m also excited to develop and create new ones with my little family of three.
I always think it’s interesting to learn about how other families individually celebrate the holidays. Growing up, we always got our Christmas tree a week or two after Thanksgiving, and we enjoyed the smell of pine and twinkling lights until the new year. But we had friends who made their annual trek to the Christmas tree lot on Christmas Eve, and they would spend their evening decorating and preparing their tree to celebrate the next morning.
Here are the few of the family traditions I’m planning to carry forward with my family…
1. Cookie baking – Because nothing says holidays like tins and tins full of cookies, right? I’ve already stocked up on sugar and flour – just need family to arrive so we can start baking!
2. The advent calendar – We have a really cute advent calendar that my aunt gave us last year. Each day we move the felt santa to a new square. This was one of my favorite traditions growing up, so I’m excited to have one of our own.
3. Holiday movie marathons – I’ve already made a list of my favorites, and once our family arrives we’re planning to watch one every night after the babies go to bed. Now that we have our Xbox 360, we can choose from the many, many holiday movies available through the Netflix app!
4. Annual ornaments – In addition to the colorful balls and glittery starts adorning out tree, I also have many of the ornaments that my parents gave to me as a child. I smile every time I pass the ballerina with a fading “Emily 1984″ written on her leg. We got Cullen his first Christmas ornament last year, and I’m excited to give him a new one with each year to come!
5. Tree trimming party – These last few years, I’ve decorated the tree by myself. My husband isn’t really that into it, and Cullen was just a baby last year. But when I was growing up, we’d make a big production out of trimming the tree as a family. My mom would put on Christmas music, and we’d all dig in the box for our favorite ornaments. Then we’d search for the perfect branch. I’m looking forward to having some little helpers next year!
What are some of your favorite holiday traditions?