Dancing Queens: The Sweetness of Toddlers in Tutus (PHOTOS)Meredith Carroll
My 4-year-old daughter Petunia has been taking a dance class since she turned 2. It’s not a ballet class, but she wears a tutu each time anyway. Just because. She also insists on wearing ballet slippers, despite the fact that the slippers make her, in fact, slip.
Peony, 19 months, has been going to Petunia’s class since she was about a week old. Now that she’s a toddler, it’s increasingly difficult (read: impossible) to get her to sit down and just watch — she insists on joining in. Fortunately the teacher, Miss Heather, is more than game to let Peony run around the bigger girls. Last week she even stuck a tutu on Peony just for the fun of it.
I can’t put my finger on it, but a toddler in a tutu is just one of those things that reminds me how sweet life can be. Put a toddler in a tutu in a class where she doesn’t exactly know what’s going on and it’s a recipe that will just scorch your heart, because melting isn’t quite effective enough.
Here are some photos of Peony in action from this past week (plus a couple of Petunia from when she was about the same age and in the same class):
Dancing Queens 1 of 8See those girls
Watch that scene
Diggin' the dancing queens
Cautious First Steps 2 of 8Peony makes her way onto the dance floor with the tutu over her jeans.
Then She Dives Right In 3 of 8Literally.
(That's Petunia standing on the left.)
Is it Time for Downward Dog? 4 of 8Oh, wait. Wrong class.
Sashay 5 of 8Werk it.
Nap Time 6 of 8This is when we take a rest, right?
Petunia, Three Years Ago 7 of 8Same class, different girl.
Tutu Cute 8 of 8If the sight of a toddler in a tutu doesn't make your heart skip a beat, you may want to double check that you still, in fact, have a heart.
Photo credits: Meredith Carroll
More from Meredith on Babble:
- 15 Hilarious Photos of a Grown Man Re-enacting Snapshots of Friends’ Babies
- 20 Dazzling Drag-Queen Portraits Showcase Intriguing Alter-Egos
- 7 Ways a Toddler is Exactly Like Your Annoying Co-Worker
- 11 Reasons Why Being a Toddler Rules
- Brave Photographer Has Lens Turned on Her as Strangers Gawk at her Weight (PHOTOS)
- The Battle They Didn’t Choose: A Husband Poignantly Documents His Wife’s Breast Cancer Fight (PHOTOS)
- 10 Things That are ONLY Funny to Toddlers
- The Mommy Tax: 7 Penalties Paid by Parents on April 15 (As Well as Every Other Day)
- 20 Whimsical Photos Capture the Darling Bond Between a Little Girl and Her Cat
- 10 Things I Pined for as a Kid that Actually Lived Up to the Hype as an Adult