My 4-year-old daughter Petunia has been taking a dance class since she turned 2. It’s not a ballet class, but she wears a tutu each time anyway. Just because. She also insists on wearing ballet slippers, despite the fact that the slippers make her, in fact, slip.
Peony, 19 months, has been going to Petunia’s class since she was about a week old. Now that she’s a toddler, it’s increasingly difficult (read: impossible) to get her to sit down and just watch — she insists on joining in. Fortunately the teacher, Miss Heather, is more than game to let Peony run around the bigger girls. Last week she even stuck a tutu on Peony just for the fun of it.
I can’t put my finger on it, but a toddler in a tutu is just one of those things that reminds me how sweet life can be. Put a toddler in a tutu in a class where she doesn’t exactly know what’s going on and it’s a recipe that will just scorch your heart, because melting isn’t quite effective enough.
Here are some photos of Peony in action from this past week (plus a couple of Petunia from when she was about the same age and in the same class):
Photo credits: Meredith Carroll
More from Meredith on Babble:
- 15 Hilarious Photos of a Grown Man Re-enacting Snapshots of Friends’ Babies
- 20 Dazzling Drag-Queen Portraits Showcase Intriguing Alter-Egos
- 7 Ways a Toddler is Exactly Like Your Annoying Co-Worker
- 11 Reasons Why Being a Toddler Rules
- Brave Photographer Has Lens Turned on Her as Strangers Gawk at her Weight (PHOTOS)
- The Battle They Didn’t Choose: A Husband Poignantly Documents His Wife’s Breast Cancer Fight (PHOTOS)
- 10 Things That are ONLY Funny to Toddlers
- The Mommy Tax: 7 Penalties Paid by Parents on April 15 (As Well as Every Other Day)
- 20 Whimsical Photos Capture the Darling Bond Between a Little Girl and Her Cat
- 10 Things I Pined for as a Kid that Actually Lived Up to the Hype as an Adult