Healthy Homemade Yogurt BreadEmily McClements
We received a loaf of this bread from a friend, and it was so delicious that I just had to get the recipe and share it with you. The bread is light and moist and is great as toast with jam for breakfast, or with butter and a bowl of soup for dinner.
One recipe makes two loaves, and believe me, your kids will love this bread and you’ll need both loaves, because you can go through a loaf in one day!
Healthy Homemade Yogurt Bread
In large bowl thoroughly mix:
3 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup instant milk
4 tsp salt
1 pkg (2 1/4 tsp) dry yeast
Heat in saucepan to 125-130:
2 3/4 cups water
1 cup yogurt
1/4 cup honey
2 Tbsp butter
1. Gradually add to dry ingredients and beat 2 minutes at medium
speed w/electric mixer.
2. Add 1 cup flour and beat at high speed for 2 minutes.
3. Stir in 1 C wheat germ (I have used wheat bran successfully in
place of the wheat germ) and add enough flour to make a stiff dough.
4. Kneed until smooth and elastic (about 8 minutes).
5. Cover with a towel and let rise until doubled in bulk (about 1 hour).
6. Punch dough down, divide in half.
7. Shape into two loaves and place in greased loaf pans.
8. Cover as earlier and let rise until double (approx 1 hour).
9. Brush w/beaten egg and sprinkle w/wheat germ.
10. Bake 350 for 35 minutes.
11. Remove and cool on wracks.
Makes two loaves.
Photo Credit: Taste of Home