Previous Post Next Post

Toddler

Brought to you by

Oh, The Sacrifices We Make For Our Toddlers

By Naomi Odes |

ferris wheel

That's pretty high up.

I guess I fall into the “lame” category when I tell you I hate amusement parks. I don’t really hate them, per se. I  just hate the rides, which is 80 percent of an amusement park. The other 20 percent being overpriced junk food and games to win giant low-quality stuffed animals.

“Why hate rides?” you ask. They’re so harmless.

Not if you get motion sickness, they’re not.  Throughout my youth, I suffered through many a trip to Six Flags Great Adventure in complete denial about my hatred of these machines built specifically to spin you around in circles until you puke.

I felt like everyone else liked them, so I was supposed to like them, too.

Well,  it took me until my 20s to realize that there are a lot better ways that I can have a good time.

Then, last Thursday, this big ferris wheel began going up for a street fair right outside Shnook’s preschool. He was instantly obsessed.

“What’s that?” he asked as I dropped him off.

I explained to him (in completely neutral terms, I swear) the definition of a ferris wheel and all it’s components and purposes.

“Can we go on it?”

“Uhhh, yeah. Sure..”

What else could I say?

“Mommy is a loser and hates ferris wheels so you can’t go on one,” didn’t feel quite right.

So, from that moment it was all he could talk about.  We went on Saturday and I had a polite conversation with my stomach before we boarded that bad boy.

He loved it.

I didn’t throw up.

Win-win!!

We actually had a really great time! He was way more brave than I would’ve been at his age. He wanted to go on any ride that they would let him on, being that he’s only about 39 inches tall.  This meant I also went on that big bumpy slide, which goes pretty fast when you’re sitting on a polyester blanket.

We even went back the next day with both Daddy and Fuzz. Even Fuzz got to go on a little bee ride with his brother.
* I added a few photos of the fair! Be sure to check them out!
nggallery id=’124818′

/
Amusement Park Rides Give Me Motion Sickness But My Toddler Wanted To Go On The Ferris Wheel

Big scary ferris wheel!

This was the first day, much cloudier than the second day, so it almost looks ominous.

So, do you ever do anything with/for your toddler despite an extreme fear or dislike?

More by Naomi:
Is Your Toddler Consuming Too Much Sugar
A Dictionary Of My Toddler’s Vocabulary
Nail Polish For Boys:The Sequel

Read more of my posts on Toddler Times.
Check out my personal blog. I Am Still Awake.
Follow me on Twitter.
Follow me on Pinterest.

More on Babble

About Naomi Odes

naomi

Naomi Odes

Naomi Odes Aytur is a blogger who's contributed on the parenting channel of Babble. She chronicles her experiences of being a new mom on her personal website, I Am Still Awake. Read bio and latest posts → Read Naomi's latest posts →

« Go back to Toddler

Use a Facebook account to add a comment, subject to Facebook's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your Facebook name, profile photo and other personal information you make public on Facebook (e.g., school, work, current city, age) will appear with your comment. Comments, together with personal information accompanying them, may be used on Babble.com and other Babble media platforms. Learn More.

4 thoughts on “Oh, The Sacrifices We Make For Our Toddlers

  1. Danielle says:

    Maddy is tall enough that she had graduated to actual roller coasters by the time she was 4. I can’t go on them (major dizziness and nausea since I started wearing strong prescription glasses), but my husband is thrilled to have a companion. She even went on the California Screamin roller coaster at Disneyland for her 5th birthday. She’s totally into it.

    I can do the ferris wheel and the merry-go-round and that’s about it.

  2. Meagan says:

    I hope you got photos of the little bee ride. A toddler riding a baby ride so his little brother can ride too sounds like about the cutest thing I’ve ever heard of.

    1. Naomi says:

      @Meagan- I added a couple of photos! It was SUPER cute! So hard to get one in focus, though!!

  3. web site says:

    This is one of the excellent post.Your blog information is very classic and good.I like this post. web site

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *.

Previous Post Next Post

The Daily Babble