Yup! Another Halloween post from good ol’ Danielle! Can you tell this is really my favorite time of the year?
Today I am tackling safety while trick or treating. Going door to door at night with little light, in costumes isn’t really the safest thing our kids can be doing but there are ways we, as parents can make it safer for them. Because of course it isn’t something we can skip with the kids.
From costumes, to lighting, and supervision… here are a couple ways to help make your trick or treating experience safer!
- Pick a costume for your child that is flame retardant. (Remember many houses may have Jack-O-Laterns on the steps which contain lit candles most of the time!)
- Glow sticks! They are a great way to light your child up so cars, and other people can see them if they are wearing a dark colored costume.
- Try to avoid masks… if you can use costume make up instead, go for it! It will help your little one to see, and breath better!
- Only trick or treat in a neighborhood you are familiar with.
- Carry a flash light as well as an extra set of batteries!
- Do not approach unfamiliar pets or animals, with so much activity for the night they could easily be spooked!
- Always have an adult with the kids! Do not let kids go out with older siblings, or even teens!
- Only have your kids wear well fitting shoes/sneakers with their costume. You don’t want them tripping and falling or wanting to remove their shoes before the night is over!
- Avoid any kind of a costume that drags on the ground. If a costume is too big work on altering it before you set out trick or treating for the night!
- WALK! Encourage your children to walk, not run, and of course avoid driving from door to door. It eliminates the risk of any kind of unfortunate accident!
A lot of these things are common sense tips, but believe it or not in the past I have seen almost all of these done by local trick or treaters in the neighborhood we go trick or treating in. Scary!
Be smart parents, and lets keep our kids safe this Halloween!
Photo Credit: flickr.com/ BEE FREE – PGrandicelli [the social bee