Weaning Report: Where We Are Now

dry earth
Not as dry as this, yet.

I’m back from my weekend away that was so uber-fantastic I can barely describe it. Ten very smart women gathered from all over the country and overseas to relax, reconnect, and recharge for a close friend’s birthday. Some, I hadn’t seen in 15 years.

I went on multiple hikes and a run, had a massage, ate delicious food, told my life story a few times, marveled at old photographs with bad haircuts, laughed a fair share, and slept!

Oh, blessed, sweet sleep! Delicious, uninterrupted sleep!! I had 2 glorious nights’ worth.

If you’re not caught up on my weaning posts, you might want to read this and this first.

Onto the weaning report: My boobs actually felt fine all weekend. I didn’t get engorged, and other than a little tingling, I didn’t really feel much of anything.  At home, according to my husband, Fuzz had a rough night the first night, but by the second night he went back to sleep pretty easily. Mind you- he still woke up every night and in the morning went on a hunt for me, despite our prepping him that I wouldn’t be there.

I got back last night after he went to bed, and although I really wanted to check in on him, I thought it was better that I stay away until morning.   Shnook stayed awake to see me, and even insisted on coming to the airport in his pajamas. I was too happy to see him to be annoyed that it was well past his bedtime.

This morning, Fuzz came bounding into my bed with his age-old cries:

“Ma mook!! Ma mook!”

Instantly, my glands reacted and I started leaking — something that had not happened since Fuzz was an infant. Shnook was sleeping in the bed with me and began to cry out: “Get off my body, (Fuzzball)!”  Needless to say, it was not a very relaxed way to ease back into my regular routine.

I had to make a choice right in that instant. Would I keep nursing, as it might return to exactly how it was prior to my trip, or should I keep refusing and let this be the end?

Considering my husband said he’d divorce me if I kept nursing after this weekend, I decided I would try to stay the course. It was a rough morning. He cried a lot, and kept climbing into position.

I made smoothies, spent a lot of time standing up, and carrying him around (since he wouldn’t let me put him down). I eventually resorted to turning on the DVD. Poor dude. It almost feels as though I never left. If I could know that he would do it once or twice a day without issue, I would be happy to continue, but I think I’m done waking up at night.

I realized, if this is in fact the end, this will be the first time I’m not pregnant and/or nursing since October 2007.  I guess it’s time to take my body back.

Anyone want to share weaning stories?

More by Naomi

I Chose Not To Use A Toddler Bed

Adventures In Weaning From A Dad’s Perspective

Why I’m Ready For My Toddler To Be A Kid

Read more of my posts on Toddler Times.

Check out my personal blog. I Am Still Awake.

Follow me on Twitter.

Follow me on Pinterest.

Photo via Flickr

Article Posted 4 years Ago
share this article
facebook twitter tumblr pinterest
See Comments
what do you think?
share this article
facebook twitter tumblr pinterest
See Comments
what do you think?
what do you think?
close comments
Subscribe to the
Welcome to
Sign Out
Follow us on