21 Children’s Books to Celebrate World Down Syndrome DayEliana Tardio
Babble participates in affiliate commission programs, including with Amazon, which means that we receive a share of revenue from purchases you make from the links on this page.
The purpose of World Down Syndrome Day is to raise awareness about the condition among the general population. And what better place to start than with kids? These 21 books are great tools for explaining to typical kids about their peers with Down syndrome and special needs, and they all do so with friendly approachable language that kids will appreciate.
Many kids might have questions and concerns when they encounter a child who may look, talk or act different from them, or who may even break the rules that they have been taught to follow and respect. These books can help children understand that some kids take longer to learn and absorb the same stuff, and they help typical kids appreciate that we are all different and unique. They emphasize the importance of accepting and supporting others by celebrating their abilities, instead of pointing out their differences.
Educating your children about kids with special needs not only creates opportunities of inclusion for children with disabilities, but also helps your children learn to live a life free of prejudice, by discovering the gifts that we all have to offer.
Remember, we are all more alike than different.
1. Taking Down Syndrome to School by Jenna Glatzer
2. We’ll Paint the Octopus Red by Stephanie Stuve-Bodeen
3. I Can, Can You? by Marjorie W. Pitzer
4. My Friend Isabelle by Eliza Woloson
5. Be Good to Eddie Lee by Virginia Fleming
6. In My World: Down Syndrome by Tiziana Vazquez
7. Why Are You Looking At Me?: I Just Have Down Syndrome by Lisa Tompkins
8. Common Threads: Celebrating Life with Down Syndrome by Cynthia S. Kidder
9. My Up & Down & All Around Book by Marjorie Pitzer M.Ed.
10. Kids Like Me… Learn ABCs by Laura Ronay
11. Kids Like Me…Learn Colors by Laura Ronay
12. Don’t Call Me Special: A First Look at Disability by Pat Thomas
13. What I Like About Me! by Allia Zobel Nolan
14. A Rainbow of Friends by P K Hallinan
15. We’re Different, We’re the Same by Bobbi Kates
Available from Amazon for $3.99