America is Your Park ... but Brookdale Park is Really Your ParkDoug French
Hey Everyone Who Likes Parks: By now you know that when it comes to Coca-Cola’s “America Is Your Park” campaign, I couldn’t decide on any of the four billion or so in my new hometown of Ann Arbor, Michigan. Seriously, by Manhattan’s standards, the entire city is a great, big park, with buildings scattered hither and yon. (Mostly hither.)
Instead, I threw my support behind Brookdale Park, in Essex County, New Jersey. I grew up on a small street that dead-ended into it, and it was my Narnia, my Snake River Canyon, and my never-ending source of Good Humor ice cream pops. (Toasted almond. Always.) I don’t live near it anymore, but it still lives with me in my ever-calcifying heart. And it would give me great pleasure to see Brookdale get $100,000 to update its athletic facilities, put on more cultural events, and stock that pond with more ducks to feed.
If you want to support Brookdale, here’s what you do:
1. VOTE ONLINE: Go to the America Is Your Park page, and vote as often as you like between now and July 15, 2012.
2. SPREAD THE WORD: You’ve got a Facebook page, don’t you? Sure you do! Everyone does! Once you’ve voted, share your vote on your Facebook page and rally your friends’ support.
3. WATCH THE LEADER BOARD: The AIYP page will tell you how Brookdale ranks against those other, less-deserving dirt pits masquerading as parks.
4. CHECK IN FROM THE PARK: If you live nearby, take your family there to see all the great things that are happening. Each “check-in” from Brookdale earns the park 100 votes!
5. SUPPORT THE GRASS WITH SOME REAL GRASSROOTS RABBLE-ROUSING: The Facebook site includes a toolkit that will help you send e-mails, letters, and tweets to community leaders, print flyers to display on site, and show other park-goers how to cast votes on their smart phones. That’s right. This just got SERIOUS.
This is sponsored content from Babble and The Coca-Cola Company. All opinions expressed in the post are my own and not those of Coca-Cola. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Only legal residents of the 50 U.S. (and D.C.) who are at least 13 years old and reside within the U.S. at the time of participation are eligible to vote for a Park. Participate on behalf of a Park by: July 15, 2012. The 3 most popular Parks will be offered a grant and there will be 1 Wild Card drawing at the end of the Contest to award an additional grant. To participate, for Official Rules, and complete details including grant descriptions, visit www.LivePositively.com/parks. Void where prohibited. Click here to see more of the discussion.