There are some foods that just soothe you, the mere taste of them calm your soul.
For me, two of those foods are chocolate and caramel.
Whenever we got ice cream sundaes, everyone around me wanted chocolate or strawberry — I wanted caramel.
Smooth, buttery delicious and amazingly rich caramel.
I laughingly blame my Granny, she’s the one who instilled in me a deep and abiding love for richness and flavor and good quality food.
When I was *challenged* with taking Werther’s Caramels to the next level, it was a no brainer…
Deep Dark Chocolate brownies, topped with smooth, creamy melted Werther’s Caramels and chopped walnuts…
Oh yes I did.
I think the perfect pairing for rich, buttery, caramel is a good deep, dark chocolate brownie and toss some walnuts into the mix – – –
This is a simple and delicious recipe that will wow your friends, family, neighbors or anyone with whom you share this delightful treat.
Dark Chocolate Brownies with a Werther’s Caramel Topping and Chopped Walnuts
- Your favorite dark chocolate brownie mix (and ingredients) or recipe that will make an 8X8 pan of brownies
- One bag (5.5 oz) Werther’s Original Chewy Caramels
- 1 1/2 Tbsp water
- 1 C chopped walnuts
- Prepare the brownie mix and place it in the oven
- While the brownies are baking, chop your walnuts, so that you have 1 C chopped walnuts to top your chocolate, caramel brownies.
- While the brownies are baking, place the unwrapped caramels and water in a saucepan over melt (if you have it) or low, stirring frequently until melted – this took about 10 minutes for me – so time accordingly with your baking brownies.
- Once the brownies are finished baking, remove them from the oven and use an ice pick, or other pointed utensil to place holes in the brownies.
- Drizzle your melted caramels all over the brownies and then sprinkle that with your chopped walnuts.
- Let cool.
- Once they’re completely cooled — you can cut them easily with a knife that’s been run through some warm water.
What’s your favorite comfort food treat?