World Down Syndrome Day: 21 Ways to CelebrateEliana Tardio
If you are the parent, family member or friend of a person with Down syndrome, you should be contemplating how to celebrate one of the most important days of the year: World Down Syndrome Day.
03/21 is the day set aside to celebrate the triplication of chromosome 21 that is the genetic composition of people with this condition.
This special event has been created to generate awareness about the abilities and possibilities of people with Down syndrome. As a special fact, it is estimated that around 6 million people in the world live with this condition and we are all more alike than we know.
Here 21 ways to celebrate. I dare you to add your own!
1) If you have a blog or website, the National Down Syndrome Society invites you to wear their celebration button.
Grab it here.
Other ideas from the NDSS are:
2) Sharing the story of a loved one with Down syndrome in their special section of My Great Story 3/21
Share it here! The author of the story with most votes wins a special prize.
3) Buy the NDSS 3:21 signature clothing line by Rhyme & Reason. The signature line features 3:21 on the front and the NDSS logo on the back. For each signature shirt purchased, $5 will be donated to NDSS.
More details and option to purchase with a click on the picture.
4) Use the NDSS World Down Syndrome Day Press Release template for sharing the event and your story with your local events with media outlets.
5) Follow and share the National Down syndrome center updates. Everyday, they post information on their Facebook page featuring a worker with Down syndrome, supported by Briggs and Associates. This is a way of celebrating the United Nations second World Down Syndrome Day Conference, entitled “Right to work.”
Click on the following picture to start following the NDSC Facebook page.
6) Down Syndrome International invites everyone across the world to wear LOTS OF SOCKS on 21 March 2013 to raise awareness of World Down Syndrome Day (WDSD).
Click on their official logo to learn more about this fun initiative.
7) Register to participate for free at the WDSD here.
8) Because every family deserves the opportunity to be blessed with a child with Down syndrome, consider a donation to Reece’s Rainbows VOICE OF HOPE FUND.
Click on the following picture to learn more and make a contribution.
9) If you have a blog or website, grab REECE´S RAINBOWS button and help them raise money to give a child with Down syndrome the opportunity to be adopted.
10) Check out Reece’s Rainbow shop to buy great apparel to celebrate World Down Syndrome Day.
Click on the following picture to take a look.
11) Share this great video from the International Down syndrome Coalition WDSD
13) Take advantage of social media by creating a video or sharing a picture with the official Word Down Syndrome Day logo.
14) Visit the World Down Syndrome Day WORLD EVENTS section to find an event in your city and to add your special event to let others find it as well.
15) Create your own button for free here.
16) Help Agnieszka Kolaczynska (10 years old) celebrate the life of her sister with Down syndrome, by watching and sharing her self-edited videos.
17) Visit your child’s school to celebrate this special date by sharing some cupcakes while answering questions and talking about the importance of celebrating kids with Down syndrome as people who are more alike than different.
18) Share your personal story with others to enlighten them about your loved one’s gifts and individual abilities.
19) Create a facebook cover page with pictures and a special message by using a free editing picture program like this one.
21) Love, accept and be proud of your loved one with Down syndrome every day of your life! That´s the real celebration!