Better Think Twice About Using That Nasal Bulb on Your Baby

When we first took my oldest daughter Harlan home from the hospital over three years ago, I remember grabbing every last thing little thing that we might use at home. The extra diapers, wipes, comb (even though she didn’t have any hair), and that little blue bulb that was used to extract snot out of her little nose.

I’d use the bulb often, especially when she got sick (which occurred a lot during her first year). I’d wash it with warm water and soap after each use and put it right back on her changing table when I was finished. I always thought that it was safe to use because I received it from the hospital. If they used it on brand new babies, it had to be okay for my baby too.

I’m sad to say that is not exactly the case. After reading a story this morning on the Huffington Post (which was originally covered on The Stir) of what one mom found inside the nasal bulb syringe, I am really sickened that I ever used that thing on Harlan.

Mitzi Johnson, published the photo above on her Facebook page with this caption:

“So I HAD to share this because it nearly gave me a heart attack! Most mommies know what these are! Nose bulbs! I used this thing on a regular basis!! I also cleaned it after each use with hot soapy water… I’m assuming since you can’t manually dry the inside rthis is the outcome!! How scary that this much mold is growing inside something that I use to CLEAN my baby with!”

Ingesting mold isn’t good for anyone, especially babies. Harlan had three cases of RSV during her first year which gave her breathing problems. She was on a nebulizer regularly. I’d hate to think that using this syringe caused the breathing problems. I know it definitely didn’t help it!

Although I am not sure that my nasal bulb did have mold, I think it’s safe to assume that given the numerous times that I used it and washed it and living in the very humid state of Florida at the time, it very likely could have looked exactly like Mitzi’s on the inside. The thought of such thing horrifies me.

Thankfully with Avery, the blue bulb is now long gone. A friend suggested that I try the NoseFrida nasal aspirator (also known as the snot sucker) that is much safer and gentler on your little one’s nose. I’d much rather suck the snot out of her nose with the nasal aspirator than ever put that potentially moldy bulb in her nose.

Do you use the bulb syringe?


Article Posted 6 years Ago

Videos You May Like