If you are bothered by age spots, acne scarring, freckles, or suffer from chloasma or melasma, a lightening product with hydroquinone may be a good treatment option. Learn more about this brightening substance in my post, Beauty Ingredients Demystified Hydroquinone.
Talk with your doctor before adding hydroquinone to your regimen, as it does have contraindications and possible side effects.If you decide it’s right for you, here are 9 over-the-counter products with hydroquinone that are worth checking out.
1. Murad Rapid Age Spot And Pigment Lightening Serum, $60
This serum soothes skin with licorice, allantoin and botanicals while hydroquinone and glycolic acid work to lighten and brighten skin.
2. PCA Skin Pigment Gel, $54
This lightening gel combines two lightening ingredients hydroquinone and kojic acid with alpha-hydroxy acids to prevent hyperpigmentation.
3. Resist Triple-Action Dark Spot Eraser 2% BHA Gel, $27
A great choice for oily skin, this product combines hydroquinone with acne-fighting salicylic acid.
4. Clinician’s Complex 6% Skin Bleaching Cream, $70
This treatment combines hydroquinone, kojic acid, and bearberry extract three ingredients used to lighten hyperpigmentation.
5. Reviva Brown Spot Night Gel With Glycol Acid, $8.29
Glycolic acid helps deliver the hydroquinone in this product deeper into the skin tissue, maximizing its lightening abilities.
6. Dermatologic Cosmetic Laboratories AHA Lightening Gel, $100
Glycolic acid exfoliates while hydroquinone prevents dark spots from forming.
7. Porcelain Skin Lightening Day Cream, $8.99
This lightening day cream has been on the market for 40 years and contains sunscreen to protect your skin.
8. Vivant Skincare Bleaching Serum Forte, $70
The dropper application allows you to deliver this hydroquinone and kojic acid lightening formula only where it’s needed.
9. NeoStrata HQ Skin Lightening Gel
This products contains hydroquinone and kojic acid to brighten and even skin tone as well as lactobionic acid, which encourages cell renewal.