Babble participates in affiliate commission programs, including with Amazon, which means that we receive a share of revenue from purchases you make from the links on this page.
In an effort to embrace or capitalize on the co-washing trend, many hair care companies are now offering co-wash and cleansing conditioners.
Co-washing, or conditioning washing, got its start as a part of the Curly Girl Method. It is a component of the “no poo movement,” which is the no shampoo method of caring for your hair. Many people have made the decision to swap traditional shampoos with harsh detergents for more gentle cleansers with little or no sulfate at all. (Before you get started, I recommend you read this post: 5 Things You Should Know About Co-Washing.)
These products can be used as an all-in-one product that cleans, hydrates, and conditions the hair in one step. They gently cleanse with no suds or sulfates, leaving your hair soft and frizz-free. Many of these can be used on a daily basis. Great, right?
Here are 12 of the best co-washing and cleansing conditioners out there:
1. Wen Cucumber Aloe (Sephora, $32.00)
Wen Cucumber Aloe is a moisturizing co-wash conditioner by Chaz Dean.
2. Carol’s Daughter Hair Milk Cleansing Conditioner (Carol’s Daughter, $12.00)
Carol’s Daughter Hair Milk Cleansing Conditioner is a sulfate-free co-wash that gets your curls extra clean without frizz-causing suds, and it keeps them incredibly moisturized and detangled.
3. Pantene Pro-V Truly Natural Co-Wash Cleansing Conditioner (Wal-Mart, $4.97)
Pantene Pro-V Truly Natural recently launched their Co-Wash Cleansing Conditioner to cater to the increasing demand of co-washing products.
4. L’Oreal Paris EverCreme Sulfate-Free Moisture System Cleansing Conditioner (Amazon, $6.09)
L’Oreal Paris EverCreme Sulfate-Free Moisture System Cleansing Conditioner is formulated to preserve each curl’s natural moisture, while low-lathering crème cleanses and helps reduce friction to keep curls smooth, soft, and manageable.
5. Wen Sweet Almond Milk (Sephora, $32.00)
Wen Sweet Almond Mint Cleansing Conditioner will pamper and invigorate your stressed-out tresses, leaving them soft and manageable.
6. Mizani Co-Wash Conditioning Cream (Naturally Curly, $12.50)
Mizani Co-Wash Conditioning Cream is a one stop shop — cleansing, detangling, and moisturizing in one.
7. Ouidad Curl Co-Wash (Ouidad, $36.00)
Ouidad Curl Co-wash combines black cumin seed oil and Jamaican black oil to deeply condition strands with nourishing vitamins and minerals, taming and smoothing hair and reducing frizz.
8. Eden Body Works All Natural Cleansing CoWash (Sally Beauty, $8.49)
9. Sheamoisture Co-Wash Conditioning Cleanser (Target, $11.99)
10. As I Am Coconut CoWash Cleansing Conditioner (Sally Beauty, $8.99)
As I Am Coconut Cowash Cleansing Conditioner is a great conditioner. I didn’t find it to be very cleansing though. It left my hair limp and scalp itchy. It works best as a follow-up to my sulfate-free shampoo as a rinse out conditioner.
11. Wen Fig Cleansing Conditioner (Sephora, $32.00)
Wen Fig Cleansing Conditioner is a five-in-one conditioning cleanser designed to improve hair health, reduce frizz, and retain color.
12. Hair One Olive Oil Cleansing Conditioner for Dry Hair (Sally Beauty, $12.49)
Hair One Olive Oil Cleansing Conditioner for Dry Hair is a salon quality sulfate-free product that leaves hair cleansed, conditioned and in optimum shape.