How to Be a “Dream Client” for your HairstylistKate Bryan
Once you’ve built a level of trust with him or her, it’s always a pleasure to go in and get your hair done.
So how do you get to that point with your stylist?
With nearly 10 years of experience being a hairstylist, I’ve had plenty of experience developing relationships with my clients. And there are a few things I can recommend doing in order to quickly become comfortable with your stylist.
1. Always be on time or a few minutes early to your appointment. If you perpetually run late, it can throw off a stylists’ entire day.
2. Avoid taking phone calls (unless it’s an emergency of course). Taking a phone call, or even texting, can be rude and also cut into styling time.
3. Be open to communicate about what you want. Even if you get the same cut every time it’s important to be honest with your stylist about what works, or what doesn’t, with your current style.
4. Pre-book your next appointment. Getting on a regular schedule is crucial for keeping your hair in tip top shape. Your stylist will appreciate that you care about your hair enough to keep it beautiful!
5. Be open and be interested in getting to know him or her. It was such a pleasure to get to know my clients on a personal level. I became friends with a lot of them and still keep in touch to this day.
My favorite clients were the ones I saw somewhat regularly. I was able to get to know them really well, and we quickly developed a level of trust that will allow them to relax and enjoy the appointment. I loved that they trusted me and would let me take the lead with their hair.
The most frustrating moments during an appointment were when a client would take a phone call. If it was an emergency situation I would completely understand, of course. But simply chatting away while I’m trying to work on your hair both inhibited me to do my job well and made it a little uncomfortable to be listening to one side of the phone conversation.
The more good hair days the better, right? And the better your relationship is with your stylist, the more likely you are to have great hair days.