Two things that don’t always mix too well: makeup and summer. Heat, humidity, and seemingly endless activities (and the sweat they cause) can lead to a cosmetics malfunction. Additionally, the bright summer sun can make an otherwise demure makeup application look garish. With plenty of dog days still ahead of us, I thought I’d share some quick and easy looks that are lightweight yet long-lasting.
These three routines are pared-down but can be further simplify by skipping steps that aren’t as important to you. The focus is on a fresh face to accentuate your features without looking over-done. I’ve incorporated my favorite summer cosmetics including sweat-resistant, waterproof, and lightweight options, as well as a couple that offer sun protection.
Best of all, these looks are built to last. Because let’s face it: whether you are spending a day at the beach, treating yourself to outdoor festival, taking a walk through the woods, vacationing on a lake, or just visiting the farmers market, reapplying is for the birds. You have enough to do.
Look #1: Barely There
This routine is designed to be streamlined and super quick. The look is simple and natural for busy active days when a full makeup application isn’t appropriate. Whether you are spending the day outdoors with the kids or just running errands, this subtle application hides imperfections and adds just a hint of long-lasting color.
1. Maybelline Fit Me Shine Free Foundation, available now for $6.99
2. Nars Blush in Orgasm, available now for $30
3. Stila Smudge Stick Waterproof Eye Liner in Graphite, available now for $22
4. Jordana Twist & Shine Moisturizing Balm Stain in Sweet Pink, available now for $2.99
1. I tend to get shiny in the humidity, so I love this Maybelline foundation. It’s really matte and masks imperfections so well you can skip concealer altogether. Apply it only to the areas where you need coverage, and use a foundation brush or your fingertips to blend it well.
2. Add a swipe of blush to the apples of your cheeks, where the sun would naturally hit your face for a sun-kissed flush. The golden shimmer keeps this pink and peach blush from looking flat in sunlight.
3. Line your upper eyelids along the lash line with a good waterproof eyeliner. Stila Smudge Sticks are insanely long-lasting. The salesperson applied a swipe to my hand and then dared me to try to get it off after it set. No amount of rubbing was going to get it to budge without makeup remover. Sold.
4. Finish with a soft pink, peach, or nude balm stain. These Jordana stains are a total steal! They leave my lips feeling moisturized, and the stain lasts for hours.
Look #2: Colorful Accents
Summer is bright and cheerful so it’s the perfect time of year to incorporate some fun colorful accents. For this look, I’ve kept the base coverage light and sheer before adding a bit of sparkle and some pops of color, including an intense blue eyeliner and bright lip color with serious staying power. Other pretty combinations include green liner with orange lipstick, teal liner with violet lipstick, and gold liner with hot pink lipstick. (Experiment with this one.) These aren’t as bold as they sound, but are fresh and subtle!
1. Maybelline Face Studio Master Concealer, available now for $7.99
2. Flower Win Some, Rouge Some Creme Blush in Forget-Me-Not, available now for $7.98
3. Colorscience Sunforgettable Mineral Sunscreen Brush, available now for $64
4. NYC Sparkle Eye Dust in Golden Champagne, available now for $2.70
5. Smashbox Always Sharp 3D Liner in Neptune, available now for $20
6. Maybelline Illegal Lengths Waterproof Mascara, available now for $7.51
7. Wet n Wild Fergie Crème Lipstick in Old School Glam, available now for $3.19
1. Dot small amounts of concealer on dark areas and spots. I’m a big believer that less is more when it comes to concealer. Add a tiny amount to each spot and carefully blend with a concealer brush using a light touch.
2. Dab a little cream blush onto the apples of your cheeks, then blend. Cream blush looks most natural in sunlight.
3. Set your concealer and blush with a dusting of powder mineral foundation. The coverage is light and sheer — the natural sparkle in the minerals prevents it from being too noticeable in sunlight. Bonus: this foundation supplies 50 SPF.
4. Dab a bit of sparkly loose eye powder to the center of each eyelid, and blend out to the corners with your fingertips.
5. Line the lower lash line with a colorful eyeliner. I like this deep blue shade from Smashbox because it’s a bit more sophisticated than a bright blue but contains a pearlescent shimmer for lots of depth. Blur your line with a blender brush or cotton swab.
6. Curl upper lashes, if necessary, and apply a coat of waterproof mascara. This one makes my lashes long without clumping.
7. Finish with a long-lasting, colorful lipstick. I love this Fergie shade from Wet n Wild because it is the color of punch — red, with both pink and orange undertones. But beware! It is so effective at being long-wearing that it will stain pretty much anything it touches so make sure to blot and keep it away from your clothes!
Look #3: Summer Bronze
You really can’t do a post about summer makeup without including a bronze look. The color of a golden tan, bronze is the unofficial shade of the season. I’ll show you how to accomplish the look in a flash. This routine is ideal for day-to-night events, date night, or a girls night out. It’s subtle enough for day but the touch of luminosity will have you feeling radiant come evening.
1. e.l.f. BB Cream SPF 20, available now for $6
2. Maybelline Face Studio Master Concealer, available now for $7.99
3. Smashbox Step-by-Step Contour Kit, available now for $45
4. Stila All Over Shimmer Liquid, available now for $20
5. Maybelline Eye Studio Color Tattoo 24Hr Eyeshadow in Bad to the Bronze, available now for $5.60
6. Smashbox Always Sharp Waterproof Kohl Liner in Black, available now for $20
7. Rimmel ScandalEyes Retroglam Waterproof Mascara in Black, available now for $5.99
8. Wet n Wild Megaslicks Balm Stain in Coral of the Story, available now for $2.99
1. You can’t beat a BB cream to simplify your routine and this one is a steal! Dot it on your face and use your fingers to blend it into your skin for all-in-one moisturizer, sunscreen, and tint.
2. If you want/need to (and I do), use a brush dipped in a small amount of concealer to cover under eye circles and other imperfections.
3. Use a bronzer (I used the one in my Smashbox contour palette) to add a bit of faux-tan, starting at the perimeter of your face, blending in toward the center. And don’t forget to extend the bronzer down your neck as well. Keep your application light for a natural look.
4. Dot a luminizer on the tops of your cheekbones, down the center of your nose, on the cupid’s bow (a.k.a. the top of your upper lip), in the center of your chin, and in the corners of your eyes. Blend well with a brush or with your fingertips.
5. Swipe a metallic bronze cream shadow onto your lids using your fingertips, then use a waterproof liner to accent the outer corners of both top and bottom lids. Both the Maybelline eye shadow and the Smashbox liner are highly pigmented. They glide on smoothly, and stay put.
6. Curl your lashes and apply a waterproof mascara. For tons of drama, I adore this Rimmel mascara.
7. Finish with a balm stain for a moisturized and long-lasting tint.
Bonus Tip: One final recommendation for summer! Even the most sweat-resistant cosmetics are fallible, and smudges of long-wearing formulas aren’t easily wiped away with a tissue. Throw an inexpensive e.l.f. Makeup Remover Pen in your bag just in case you need a quick fix.More On