Though no one in our family has a gluten allergy, I have found that we all function and feel better when we consume less “white” flour. There couldn’t be a better time to do so, as there are so many wonderful alternatives on the market right now. I’ve loved using coconut and almond flours in my baking, and there are several good all-purpose flour replacements that make it easy to continue making our old favorites.
I’m always impressed with recipes that use NO flour at all — all purpose or otherwise — while baking cakes, cookies, etc., that my family will happily gobble up. And “cloud bread” is right up there with the best of them. You’ve probably seen recipes for this bread scroll across your Pinterest feed lately. And for good reason, as there are only three — yes, three! — ingredients.
Eggs, cream cheese, and cream of tartar are all you need to create these fluffy, soft breads that are quite versatile. You can use them straight up with your favorite sandwich fillings, or toast and spread with butter and jam to serve with breakfast. You can also fold your favorite herbs, cheeses, or spices into the batter for additional flavor. But my favorite way to use cloud bread is in this delicious twist on breakfast pizza! Cloud bread is the perfect base for all that melted cheese, and it sops up my runny fried egg like a champ.
The recipe easily doubles, and freezes beautifully too. Experiment with different sizes and shapes (cloud garlic sticks, perhaps?) and stop missing bread for good!
Makes: 8-10; can be doubled
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons cream cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 300 F. Then line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Separate the eggs, placing the yolks in the bowl of your mixer along with the cream cheese. Let everything come to room temperature.
- Using the whisk attachment, beat the yolks and cream cheese until smooth and completely blended. Then transfer it to a medium bowl. Clean and dry your mixer bowl and attachment.
- Place the egg whites in the mixer bowl and beat on medium speed until frothy and covered in bubbles. Add the cream of tartar and increase the speed to high. Beat until stiff peaks form, which is about 3-5 minutes.
- Fold the egg whites into the yolk mixture in three additions. Be careful not to over-mix because it will deflate the egg whites. Use a large spoon or ice cream scoop to dollop the batter onto your prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes. If using as a pizza base, remove from oven when it is light golden brown (you’ll be returning the breads to the oven). Otherwise, remove from oven when it is medium golden brown. Transfer breads to a wire rack to cool; use immediately or freeze for longer storage.
Individual Cloud Bread Breakfast Pizzas
Makes: 2; can be doubled or tripled
- 2 strips of thick cut bacon, cut in half
- 2 eggs
- 2 cloud breads
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar
- Salt and pepper
- Parsley, chopped (optional)
- Grated Parmesan (optional)
- Preheat broiler. Cook the bacon in a hot skillet until browned on both sides. Transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Pour off all but a tablespoon of bacon fat and cook the eggs as desired.
- Place the cloud breads on a cookie sheet and add the shredded cheddar. Add the bacon slices on top, followed by the eggs. Run the pizzas under the broiler until the cheese melts and add salt and pepper. Sprinkle with parsley and grated Parmesan, if desired.