Citizen Kid twin chefs Lilly and Audrey just released their first cookbook, We [Heart] Cooking!: Totally Tasty Food for Kids. My kids and I had the chance to check out the book and try our hands at making the kale leaf frittatas-to-go!
Choosing the Recipe: Kale Leaf Frittatas-to-Go
The kids and I decided to try out this recipe because we’re kind of in a breakfast rut and this could help mix things up. Plus, my kids love eggs so I figured we had a good chance of them liking the final product … and I was right!
Rankings: Frittatas-to-Go Are Great!
This recipe was a hit, both because it was fun to make and delicious to eat! The girls really liked the process of making this recipe. There were fun steps for them to get involved in, and I could tell they were really having a good time. Cate even filmed part of it with the iPad to make her own cooking show! The final product was delicious, and the frittatas are definitely portable!
Steps Where Kids Can Get Involved:
The girls helped break the stems off the kale leaves and then line the muffin tins. They also placed the ham pinwheels into the cups and helped mix the egg mixture. I took care of oiling the muffin tin and pouring the egg mixture into the muffin tins, but other than that, the girls were involved every step of the way. I was surprised, actually, how fun they thought it was to prepare the muffin tins for the egg mixture!
The tasting went well! Sadly, Owen (Kid No. 3), was taking his nap, but Anna and Cate both liked the mini frittatas a lot. Cate declared that she loved them, in fact!
Here is the recipe for kale leaf frittatas-to-go, with a few notes on our experience with the recipe.
Kale Leaf Frittatas-to-Go
From Lilly and Audrey, the Twin Chefs
Hands-on time: 22 min
Total time: 42 min
Serves: 6 (2 frittatas per person). Note: We followed the recipe exactly and ended up with 9 frittatas total, not 12.
- 4 cups baby kale leaves, stems removed
- 4 (0.5-ounce) slices deli-smoked honey ham
- 4 green onions
- 6 large eggs
- 2 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (about ½ cup)
- ¼ cup 1% low-fat milk
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Coat a 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray. (Note: We followed the recipe exactly and only had enough egg mixture for 9 frittatas.)
- Line each tin with an even layer of kale leaves.
- Roll each slice of deli ham into a cylinder. Cut rolls crosswise into ½-inch slices to make wheels. Arrange wheels over kale leaves, using about two wheels per muffin cup. (Note: We put 3 rolls of ham in each cup.)
- Trim roots and dark green tops from green onions. Chop white and light green parts. You should have about ¼ cup chopped onions.
- Combine eggs, cheese, milk, onions, kosher salt, and pepper in a medium bowl. Stir well with a whisk.
- Using a ¼ cup measuring cup as a scoop, fill each muffin cup with about ¼ cup egg mixture.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until egg is set. (Note: We had to bake our frittatas for 25 minutes.)
- Remove pan from oven. Let frittatas cool in pan for 5 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!