St. Patrick’s Day is always a fun one in our house. We do crafts, eat green pancakes, and clean up whatever mess the leprechauns made while we were sleeping.
For this year’s not-too-serious craft, we’re making these cute leprechaun hat treats. They are made with chocolate, marshmallow, and Nilla wafers (but feel free to use other round cookies).
These cookies are full of classic rocky road flavors. Best of all, they are so simple to put together — and no baking required!
Leprechaun Hat Cookies
recipe adapted from The Cake Blog
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate (not chocolate chips)
- 12 Nilla wafers (or other round cookie)
- 12 large marshmallows
- Green sanding sugar
- Shamrock sprinkles (optional)
- Melt the semisweet chocolate in a large microwave-proof bowl.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Set a small bowl out with green sanding sugar.
- Dip Nilla wafers in the chocolate and place them on the lined cookie sheet to harden.
- Insert a toothpick into each marshmallow and dip in the chocolate, covering them completely.
- Dip the bottom and lower sides of the marshmallows into the green sanding sugar to make a rim about 1/4 of the way up. Decorate with shamrock sprinkles, if desired.
- Press the marshmallows onto the top of the chocolatey Nilla wafers. Allow to harden completely for about 4 hours at room temperature, or 2 hours in the refrigerator. Serve!