You sink your teeth into that thick, juicy meat, the toppings running down your face, the smoky aroma embracing you. Today is a good day. Today is a burger day.
There’s something about this American classic that we just can’t put our fingers on (well, on the contrary, we love getting our hands on a good burger). Whatever your jam — a meatless patty with veggie toppings or a monster of a burger piled high with mac and cheese — we’ve got you covered with a slew of burger recipes, just in time for National Hamburger Day on May 28.
So pick your category — healthy, creative, or over the top — and dig in.
1. Tilapia Burger with Watermelon Salsa and Avocado: We didn’t think a burger could be pretty. Oh, were we so wrong. It’s fresh, flavorful, and you’ll feel fabulous for eating it? Adding this to our to-do list.
2. Sweet Potato Black Bean Burger: This nutritious burger is masquerading as a meaty option. Though it’s good for your waistline, it’s also super hearty so you’ll stay full after munching down on it.
3. Portobello Burger with Avocado Chimichurri: We’ve never seen a portobello burger quite like this before, and had to do a double take. We might just need to use these fixings on all our burgers.
5. Chicken Pot Pie Burger: Forget what you think of as a “normal” burger. Cook up this one when you don’t know which you want more: a chicken pot pie or burger.
6. Teriyaki Burger with Grilled Pineapple: Dreaming of a Hawaiian vacay? Transport your taste buds with this tropical burger. Just throw a pineapple on the grill, alongside your patty, and you’ve got a one-way ticket to paradise. E ʻai kāua (aka “let’s eat” in Hawaiian)!
Over the Top
7. Mac Attack Burger: Yes, this is insane, and yes, you need to try it. After all, it incorporates two of our favorite meals in each bite.
8. Burger Topped with Sweet Potato Fries: If you’re the type of eater who mixes all the foods together on your plate, you’ll love this burger. The side is piled right on top for your benefit.More On