April Fools! These Tater Skins are Healthy!Brooke McLay
Ready to do April Fools day right? Chef Anthony (executive “healthy” chef at Pritikin Longevity Center), to serve up some deceptively delicious healthy snacks for the ultimate prank on the unhealthy eaters in your life.
This year, rather than tricking your family into eating a meatloaf cupcake, fool your picky eaters into chowing down on delicious snacks, dinners and desserts that are healthy alternatives to the real thing. From creamy desserts to a crispy French fry imitator with half the calories and fat, serve up some healthy April Fools this holiday and get the last laugh.
Here’s Chef Anthony’s favorite healthier version of baked potato skins.One potato skin at a restaurant is often 400 calories or more however, these scrumptious Pritikin Potato Skins are just 88 calories (for two!)
· 8 baked potatoes (already baked)
· ½ teaspoon garlic powder
· ½ teaspoon onion powder
· ½ teaspoon paprika
Optional toppings: a smidgen of reduced-fat cheddar, turkey bacon, fat free sour cream, and chives.
· Preheat oven to 400°F.
· Mix garlic, onion, and paprika together and set aside.
· Cut the potatoes in half lengthwise. Scoop out potatoes almost down to the skin.
· Place potato skins on a nonstick baking sheet. Sprinkle garlic mixture lightly over the skins.
· Bake for 10 minutes, or until crisp. Top with optional toppings, if desired.
Nutrition Information (2 potato skins, sans toppings, per serving): 88 calories, less than 1g fat, 0g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 2g protein, 4g fiber, 9mg sodium.