Fall is finally here! That means it is time to indulge in cozy, warm food and drink! What better way to do that than with bourbon? You probably thought I was going to say pumpkin, right? Pumpkin is good, yes, but bourbon is better.
The stone wall is a wonderful bourbon-based drink for colder months. There are lots of variations on this cocktail, but I’ve decided to give it a real fall kick.
The Autumn Stone Wall mixes bourbon with apple cider and simple syrup infused with pear and ginger. It’s sweet but not overly so and the bourbon goes down oh-so-smoothly. Maybe too smoothly. Be careful with this one, it’s dangerous like sangria … before you know it the glass is empty! The flavors of the different fruits and ginger are subtle and all blend together beautifully with the bourbon, so no one flavor stands out.
While this cold cocktail is served on the rocks, the flavors and the bourbon are sure to warm you up on a crisp fall night. Enjoy!
Autumn Stone Wall
Prep Time: 2 minutes
- 2 ounces bourbon (a sweet and smooth variety — I used Maker’s Mark)
- 1 ounce apple cider
- 1 ounce ginger-pear simple syrup (recipe below)
- Club soda, to top off
- Using a 10-12 ounce double old fashioned or highball glass, fill glass about two-thirds with ice. Pour in bourbon, apple cider, and simple syrup. Top off with club soda, mix gently, and enjoy!
Ginger-Pear Simple Syrup
Makes: 1 1/4 cups
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 pear, roughly diced
- 4 inches ginger root, cut into discs
- Mix water, sugar, and pear pieces in a small pot. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low to maintain a simmer. Add ginger pieces and simmer for 25 minutes. Let cool.
Note: store leftover syrup in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.