These smoky and sweet, meaty yet vegetarian BBQ mushrooms are delicious as a warm side dish, sandwich filling, or salad topper. Whip these flavorful shrooms up in a flash. Perfect for warm weather spring and summer meals…
vegan, makes 1 cup shiitakes (double recipe for larger side dish)
1 1/4 cups shiitakes, thinly sliced
1/4 cup red onions, diced
1/4 cup vegan BBQ sauce (any variety or make your own, recipe on HHL)
salt/pepper to taste
1 tsp safflower oil (for saute pan)
1. Heat oil in skillet.
2. Add onions and cook until they become transparent and browned on the edges.
3. Add in the mushrooms and BBQ sauce and cover pan with lid. Allow steam to soften mushrooms a bit.
4. Remove lid and saute for a few more minutes on medium until all liquid is absorbed and sauce thickens.
5. Add salt and pepper to taste – if you BBQ sauce if bold and seasoned you should not need much extra seasoning though.
Read more from Kathy on her blog, Healthy. Happy. Life. Get Kathy’s book, 365 Vegan Smoothies: Boost Your Health With a Rainbow of Fruits and Veggies, available on Amazon. Follow Kathy on Instagram. And Pinterest, Facebook and Twitter.
More on Family Kitchen:
* 11 Ways to Stuff an Avocado
* Taco-Stuffed Avocado
* Spring Edamame Hummus Dip
* Meyer Lemon Ginger Tropical Fruit Salad
* Flour-Free Baking Tip!
* Savory Spinach Lemon Bean Dip
* Sweet Citrus Avocado Dip
* Sweet green smoothie for spring