Making donuts from scratch is a perfect activity for the whole family. With a few simple ingredients and a bit of planning, it will be well worth the effort. As with all baked goods, donuts are much better when they are freshly made. You can experiment with this recipe by adding flavors to the dough and glaze, or going all out with a fun theme, such as Beauty and the Beast.
And how better to celebrate the 25th anniversary of Beauty and the Beast this year than with donuts of your most beloved characters? You can do the frying while your kids help creatively decorate the likes of Belle, Lumiere, and Mrs. Potts! These themed donuts would be great to serve at a birthday or tea party — and no matter the character they are sure to be delicious. Happy baking!
Beauty and the Beast Donuts
Brioche Donut Ingredients
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 1/4 teaspoons yeast
- 3 whole eggs and 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1 1/2 sticks (6 ounces) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Gel food coloring
- To make the donuts, combine milk and yeast in the bowl of a stand mixer. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Add all remaining donut ingredients to bowl and slowly mix with a dough hook attachment.
- Scrape sides of bowl to make sure all ingredients are combined. Continue mixing on high for 10 minutes.
- Place dough in a lightly greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let dough rise in a warm, dry place for 2 hours. Then refrigerate dough overnight.
- Remove dough from bowl and roll out on a lightly floured surface to 1/2 inch thick.
- Cut donuts in desired shapes and place on a baking sheet. Let rise another 1-1 1/2 hours until almost double in size.
- Fill a medium size stockpot half way with vegetable oil. Heat with a candy thermometer to 365 F.
- Gently place donuts in fryer. Once browned, flip donuts over and continue to cook.
- Remove donuts with a slotted spoon and place on a tray lined with paper towels. Let cool.
- To make the glaze, whisk together milk and vanilla. Add powdered sugar. If mixture is too thin, add more powdered sugar. If too thick, add more milk to desired consistency.
- Add gel food coloring for decoration.
- Then dip donuts directly into glaze.
- Roll out various shapes and colors of fondant and attach to glaze.
*Note: you can buy fondant online or at a craft supply store.
Celebrate the 25th Anniversary of @BeautyAndTheBeast on Digital HD and Blu-ray !