This simple, vibrant idea for decorating a cake won’t have you fussing with fondant for hours, so you can enjoy birthday time with your child. Use sprinkles and a cookie cutter for a fun, finished dessert that’s ready to rock some birthday candles!
This adorable cake looks perfect with any themed party, and you’ll love the easy convenience of this decorating method.
You’ll need a frosted layer cake, a tub of sprinkles (rainbow jimmies, rainbow nonpareils, mini sprinkles, or any other eye-catching toppings will do), and a shaped cookie cutter. Here are a few clever cookie cutter ideas:
- Hearts, flowers, or stars
- Birthday boy or girl’s age
- First letter of their name
- Their favorite animal
1. First, you’ll need to coat the sides of the birthday cake with sprinkles, leaving the top free of sprinkles.
To easily decorate, pour a thin layer of sprinkles into a small cookie sheet. Frost the edges of your cake, then gently pick it up, turn it sideways, and roll it in the sprinkles. Place on your serving platter and frost the top to finish off this easy hack!
2. Next, place the cookie cutter in the center of the frosted cake and use your fingers to distribute sprinkles within the bottom of the cookie cutter shape.
3. Once you’ve covered the bottom of the cookie cutter shape with sprinkles, it’s time to carefully lift the cookie cutter off the cake.
Congratulations! Now you’ve got a festive, custom birthday cake that was a breeze to decorate. Grab a few candles, it’s time to celebrate the birthday kid!