My family loves Chinese food, but like a lot of people, we often opt for takeout rather than making it at home. It tastes so much better than anything I could make at home…that is except for fried rice. I make a pretty good vegetable fried rice that rivals the ones I’ve eaten at Chinese restaurants. We usually eat it as a main dish, occasionally with tofu on the side. Loading it up with broccoli and mushrooms makes it into a heartier meal. You can add whatever vegetables you like, but I do like broccoli in it the very most of all. This recipe is vegetarian, but I have also made it with diced leftover ham, shrimp, or chicken. I love vegetable fried rice because it’s a great way for me to use up both leftover rice and veggies in the fridge. Fried rice is incredibly versatile – add in whatever your family loves most.
4 Tablespoons oil, divided
1 medium onion, diced
1/2 cup diced carrots
1/2 cup diced celery
1 garlic clove, minced
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 cups broccoli, cut into bite-size pieces
8 ounces sliced mushrooms (any variety)
4 cups cold, leftover rice
1-2 Tablespoons soy sauce
2-3 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
sliced scallions, for garnish (optional)
1. In a large skillet, heat 1 Tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrots, and celery. Stir frequently and sauté until the vegetables start to turn golden and soften. Add the garlic and cook for another 30-60 seconds, or until fragrant. Transfer to a medium-sized bowl with a slotted spoon and set aside.
2. Add a little more of the oil to the pan. Add the eggs and scramble them. Transfer to another bowl and set aside.
3. If needed, wipe out skillet. Add 1 Tablespoon of oil followed by the broccoli and mushrooms. If they are sticking, add a little more oil. Cook until broccoli is barely tender and the mushrooms start to soften and brown. Transfer to the bowl with the other vegetables.
4. Add the remaining 1 Tablespoon of oil to the skillet. Add the cold rice and cook, stirring constantly, turning the rice over so it fries evenly. When it’s heated up and toasting nicely, add the vegetables and scrambled eggs to the pan. Stir well to combine.
5. Drizzle the soy sauce and sesame oil over the fried rice and stir well. Taste and add extra soy sauce or sesame oil, if desired. Sprinkle with the sliced scallions and serve hot.
Yield: 4-6 servings