There are three things I must have when at the movies:
- Fountain Diet Coke
- Small popcorn
- Some manner of chocolate-y candy (preferably Milk Duds, but Sno-Caps or Raisinets will do in a pinch)
I don’t know about you, but my movie experience is not complete without that sweet-salty-crunchy combination of popcorn and candy. Which is why I can say, with some certainty, that these are now my new very favorite cookies: Buttered Popcorn White Chocolate Chunk.
I had come across this recipe for buttered popcorn cookies before, but held off making them because I couldn’t imagine the popcorn staying crisp after sitting in the baked cookies for a day or so. And really, is there anything worse than chewy popcorn? But I eventually weakened — and I’m SO glad I did. These cookies are delicious, elevated to even greater heights by the addition of white chocolate chunks and a sprinkling of sea salt flakes. My family and I could not stop digging in, and even days later the popcorn was still crunchy.
The recipe itself is super-easy, and I’ve included my favorite no-mess way to make popcorn from scratch in the microwave (you’ll never make it any other way again!). So go bake up a batch of these cookies and fire up the DVD player (fountain soda optional)!
Buttered Popcorn White Chocolate Chunk Cookies
adapted from Eats Well with Others
Makes: 2 1/2 – 3 dozen
1/4 cup popcorn kernels
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1/4 teacup salt
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
12 ounces white chocolate, coarsely chopped (can substitute with white chocolate chips)
sea salt flakes (for garnish, such as Maldon)
1. Pre-heat oven to 375 F. Line 3 baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Place kernels in a paper lunch bag; fold the top over a few times. Place the bag in your microwave and cook for 1-3 minutes, or until there are only a few seconds between pops. Pour popcorn into a large bowl and toss with melted butter and salt. Remove any unpopped kernels.
3. In the bowl of your mixer beat butter and both sugars until light and fluffy; beat in egg and vanilla.
4. Add flour, baking soda, and salt to mixer; beat just until blended. Add popcorn and chocolate; beat on lowest speed just until incorporated (a few seconds).
5. Drop dough by tablespoons onto your prepared baking sheets, spaced about 2″ apart. Sprinkle with a bit of sea salt flakes. Bake for 10-13 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven and let cookies cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely. Store cookies at room temperature in an airtight container, layered in between parchment paper.