Around here, Muddy Buddies do not last long. There is something utterly addictive about this salty-sweet, crunchy snack that has it flying off the tray as soon as it’s ready.
For this version I took two more family faves — funfetti and cake batter — and incorporated them into the mix.
My son wanted to bring it into his class to share, so I made sure to use allergy-friendly ingredients throughout. Turns out this was quite easy (including it being vegan and gluten-free). And we all agreed that it tasted exactly like the original!
Cake Batter Muddy Buddies
Makes: about 5 cups
- 5 cups gluten-free cereal (I used Corn Chex)
- 1 cup gluten-free, dairy-free chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup sunbutter
- 1/4 cup dairy-free spread (such as Earth Balance)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup sprinkles
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 1 cup gluten-free, vegan cake mix (or substitute with an additional 1 cup confectioner’s sugar)
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside. Place the cereal in a large bowl.
- Melt the chocolate chips, sunbutter, dairy-free spread, and vanilla in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir until smooth.
- Pour mixture over the cereal and stir gently until thoroughly coated. Let cool for a few minutes. Add half the sprinkles and stir to coat. Add the remaining sprinkles and stir again. Transfer mixture to a large zip-top bag.
- Add half the confectioner’s sugar and cake mix, seal the bag and shake to coat. Add the remaining sugar and cake mix and shake again. Spread mixture on your prepared baking sheet and let cool completely. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.