It’s summer BBQ season, and you’ll definitely “wow” your guests with these delicious Cheesy Bacon Twists! The crispy snacks are filled with Parmesan cheese and warm bacon strips, wrapped inside of a baked pastry, and topped with Colby Jack cheese star. They’re perfect for the 4th of July, and we bet these cheese and bacon munchies will literally be the star of your party.
Cheesy Bacon Twists
- All-purpose flour, for dusting work surface
- One sheet/package frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 6 – 8 strips good-quality bacon (use as many necessary to fill your sheet of pastry)
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Colby Jack cheese, sliced
- Star cookie cutter *
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured work surface, use a rolling pin to flatten the puff pastry into a large rectangle, 1/4-inch thick.
- Spread mustard evenly over the pastry and sprinkle a layer of Parmesan cheese and brown sugar.
- Place the bacon slices on the pastry, leaving a small gap in between each slice. Trim any messy edges that spill over the puff pastry, to neaten the rectangle into a straight edge. Make a cut in between each slice to form individual pastry-bacon strips.
- Carefully twist each strip 4 or 5 times, so it looks like a curly straw. Place on the prepared baking sheet and brush with beaten egg. Chill in the fridge for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove the twists from the fridge and brush a second time with beaten egg. Bake until the pastry is well risen and golden-brown, about 16 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Use cookie cutter or cut by hand to create star shapes out of Colby Jack cheese.
- Skewer stars with toothpicks and place at top of bacon twist.