Banana and chocolate go so well together. Think of those yummy banana splits with warm, gooey fudge or chocolate-dipped frozen bananas (that really brings me back to my childhood)! Since the two ingredients are made for each other, I came up with a healthy recipe that’s just as delicious as a dessert. Move on over chocolate cake!
Chocolate Banana Popsicles
- 4 large ripe bananas
- 1 cup coconut yogurt (or vanilla, or plain plus 1 teaspoon vanilla extract)
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup (I recommend Grade B as it has a more pronounced flavor and is lower in sugar)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons dark chocolate (or milk chocolate)
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts (add almonds and mixed nuts for variety!)
- 1/3 cup coconut flakes
- 1 teaspoons sea salt
- Special equipment: popsicle molds and sticks
- Combine bananas, yogurt, maple syrup, and vanilla extract into the blender or food processor, and blend until smooth.
- Pour into popsicle molds and freeze for 1 hour. Then add popsicle sticks and continue freezing overnight.
- Melt the chocolate over low heat.* (If you don’t want to melt a bar of chocolate, use a sugar-free chocolate syrup instead.)
- Set aside the chocolate and let it cool. You do not want to pour the chocolate on the popsicles when it’s too hot.
- Drizzle the chocolate over the popsicles and sprinkle with crushed walnuts, coconut flakes, and a pinch of sea salt.
- Place the popsicles back into freezer for about 2 hours so that the chocolate will harden.
- When ready to eat, run mold under warm water to help easily remove.
*If you are in a hurry and don’t have the time to drizzle the chocolate, combine it with the walnuts, coconut flakes, and sea salt into mixture.