With their warm, stretchy dough, fragrant cinnamon, and sweet icing fresh cinnamon rolls are a wonderful treat. Traditional cinnamon roll dough requires proofing yeast and a lengthy rise time, not to mention rolling and forming the dough. Happily, store-bought puff pastry dough subs in beautifully, meaning you can have a delicious batch of cinnamon rolls in minutes!
Making cinnamon rolls at home also let me be free to play with flavors — and naturally, I opted to add a little chocolate to the mix. Chocolate and cinnamon are a natural match and make for wonderfully rich cinnamon buns that are just right for a celebratory brunch or dessert.
Puff Pastry Chocolate Cinnamon Rolls
Makes: 12 servings
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup turbinado or white sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 sheets puff pastry, thawed
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons whole milk
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Brush the cups of a 12-cup muffin tin with melted butter.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine chocolate, sugar, and cinnamon.
- Line a work surface with parchment and unroll both sheets of puff pastry. Brush all over with remaining melted butter and then lightly press chocolate mixture into the sheets.
- Create a small fold along the edge of each sheet, and roll. Slice each roll into six equal segments.
- Place a sliced roll into each of the buttered muffin cups.
- Slide into oven and bake 22-27 minutes, or until cinnamon rolls are a rich golden brown and filling is bubbling. Let rolls cool for 30-45 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the powdered sugar and milk, and stir until smooth. Drizzle over cinnamon rolls, remove from muffin cups, and serve.