Chocolate Graham PancakesSusan Whetzel
Makes: 6 medium pancakes
Chocolate Graham Pancakes
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup finely crushed graham crackers
- 1â„4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- Simple Marshmallow Syrup (recipe below)
Expect cheers all around when you serve up stacks of these chocolaty pancakes! The ratio of graham cracker to flour really heightens the s’mores flavor, and of course, the marshmallow syrup brings it all together!
1. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, graham cracker crumbs, cocoa powder, brown sugar, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, graham cracker crumbs, cocoa powder, brown sugar, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt.
3. Heat a griddle to medium high. Spray the griddle with nonstick cooking spray. Spoon about 1/4—1â„3 cup of batter, 3″ apart, onto the hot griddle and cook until bubbles start to appear and pop, roughly 2 minutes. Flip and cook until the edges begin to look less wet and shiny. Serve hot with Simple Marshmallow Syrup to taste.
There is nothing more frustrating than burning your pancakes. To ensure that doesn’t happen, try these little tricks: To make sure your griddle is at the right temperature, splash a few drops of water on it. The water should sizzle and burn off quickly. Once that happens, start small. Add a spoonful of batter to the griddle. If it gets too dark on the bottom before bubbles form, it’s too hot. Turn back the temperature and wait 5 minutes before trying again.
Simple Marshmallow Syrup
Yields: 1 cup
- 1 1â„2 cups Marshmallow Fluff
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
This easy syrup is used in several recipes throughout this cookbook, from pancakes to bread pudding, and even as a topping for coffee cake. It’s very versatile, so expect to use it often.
Combine the fluff, vanilla, and boiling water in a small bowl. Use as desired.
Reprinted with permission from The S’mores Cookbook by Suzan Whetzel,Copyright © 2013 by F+W Media, Inc. Used by permission of the publisher. All rights reserved.