These days, my daughter and I are on the go. We’re constantly dashing out the door to go to the playground, run errands, or meet up with friends. It became clear to me last week that we needed some healthy snacks to match our newly fast-paced summer schedule. Healthy chocolate zucchini muffins fit the bill perfectly. Made with plenty of whole grain flour, real veggies, and honey, they’re a quick snack you can feel good about. Additions like rich chocolate and shredded coconut mean they taste great too.
Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
Makes: 16 full-size muffins
- 1 1/2 cups shredded zucchini (roughly 2 medium, 3 small)
- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease your muffin tin and line with cupcake liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flours, cocoa, shredded coconut, baking powder, and salt. In a smaller bowl, whisk the eggs briefly and then add the buttermilk, honey, olive oil, and vanilla. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry and stir just until combined. Finally, fold in the zucchini.
- Spoon the batter into prepared muffin tin. Bake for 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.