This chunky veggie tomato soup is every veggie lovers’ dream. Thick chunks of potato, carrot, onion and celery swimming in a steamy, slightly spicy tomato and veggie based broth. Spices and a few bay leaves add plenty of delicious flavor. Tender pasta and beans make this a meal! Get the vegan recipe..
Chunky Veggie Tomato Stew
vegan, makes about 6 bowl-sized servings (dinner + leftovers!)
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 large russet potato, peeled/diced into large chunks
1 large white or yellow onion, chopped
1 cup celery, thickly chopped
1 12 ounce can fire-roasted tomatoes
3 large carrots, sliced into thick rounds
1 Tbsp chopped garlic
1/2 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped (leaves and stems)
2 bay leaves
1/2 cup dry pasta (any variety)
1 1/2 cups canned beans (white beans or garbanzo work well!)
4 cups vegetable broth
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp fine black pepper
(+salt to taste)
1/4 cup arugula + diced avocado!
1. Place a big soup pot on stove over high heat. Add the oil, onions and garlic. Saute for a few minutes.
2. Add in the carrots, celery, potato and seasonings. Saute for a minute or so.
3. Drain and rinse your beans, and then add to soup pot.
4. Add tomatoes to a blender, and puree until smooth. Pour tomato mixture into soup pot along with all the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Once boiling, cover with lid and reduce heat to low. Simmer until veggies are tender and pasta is cooked. TIP! If you like al-dente pasta, cook separately and add pasta upon serving. (Simmering pasta can get quite soft.)
5. Simmer as long as you’d like to “reduce” the soup and intensify the flavors. I like to simmer my soup a good 2-3 hours.
6. Garnish with fresh greens like arugula and some diced avocado. Toast or crusty bread on the side.
More on Family Kitchen:
* 21 Dreamy Vegan Cupcake Recipes
* 21 Wellness-Infused Recipes for Flu Season!
* 30 Bowls for Healthy Winter Eating
* 23 Nut Butter lovers’ Recipes
* 31 Healthy Foods to Add to Your Diet in 2013
* Chocolate-Dipped Peanut Butter Rice Bars
* 7 Healthy Beverages to Choose Today
* Simple Sweet Green Juice Recipe