Though I could have a donut every day – and at any time of day – my favorite time is mid-morning. Preferably with a cup of coffee. I decided to take this idea up a notch with these coffee-infused donuts, paired with an icy coffee malt!
Instant espresso powder lends a smooth yet distinctive coffee flavor to both the easy baked donuts, as well as the glaze. And you coffee fanatics out there (*raises hand enthusiastically*) will love this malt. Thick and creamy with plenty of coffee ice cream, malted milk powder, and a shot of chocolate syrup.
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 2 tablespoons milk or cream
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Generously grease two 12-cavity mini donut pans.
- Lightly whisk the yolk in a medium bowl. While continuing to whisk, add the melted butter, buttermilk, espresso powder, vanilla, and light brown sugar. Whisk until well blended. Add the flour, baking soda, and salt and mix again until well blended.
- Transfer batter to a quart-sized zip-top bag and snip a small opening in one corner. Fill the cavities of the pans about halfway and bake for 5 minutes. Use the tip of a small knife to remove the donuts and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Make the glaze: Wash and dry the bowl from the donut batter. Whisk the espresso powder and milk until espresso is completely dissolved. Add the confectioner’s sugar and whisk until smooth and pourable.
- Set the rack containing the donuts over a baking sheet, to catch drips. Working with one donut at a time, dip the top half in the glaze, allowing any excess to drip back into the bowl. Return to the wire rack. Let the glaze set and dip for a second time into the glaze. Dip glazed donuts into the sprinkles and allow to dry completely. Store in an airtight container for 2-3 days.
- 2 cups milk
- 4 generous scoops coffee ice cream
- 1/2 cup malted milk powder
- 2-4 tablespoons chocolate syrup
- Combine all ingredients in your blender; blend until smooth and serve immediately.