Corned Beef and Cabbage 3 Ways: Quick, Quicker, and QuickestBrooke McLay
Cooking Corned Beef isn’t difficult, but it can be time consuming. If you’re looking for the quickest, most fool-proof, most delectable ways to serve the recipes for your St. Patrick’s Day dinner, we’ve got you covered. Here are three simple techniques for perfect Corned Beef and Cabbage everytime.
1. COOK IT IN YOUR SLOW COOKER
- PROS: The simplest way to make Corned Beef and Cabbage is in your slow cooker. This method will turn the meat soft and tender. The flavors will meld together and be ready to serve by dinnertime, if you pop it into the crockpot first thing in the morning.
- CONS: This method takes 8-9 hours of cook time, so be sure you pop it in the oven in the morning, lest you be serving raw meat for dinner.
- HOW TO MAKE IT: Place your corned beef in the slow cooker with 2 (15 ounce) cans beef broth, a splash of cider vinegar, 2 chopped onions, 5 diced potatoes, 5 chopped carrots, and a head of cabbage chopped into wedges. Cook on low for 8-9 hours.
2. BOIL IT ON THE STOVETOP
- PROS: All you need for this method is a large pot, the spices that came with your corned beef, carrots, potatoes, and cabbage. An quick and easy ingredient & supply list! The recipe yields a moist, flavorful one-pot meal.
- CONS: This technique is simple and less time consuming that the Slow Cooker method. Because you’ll be cooking it on the stovetop, you’ll not want to leave your home. So, there is a bit of babysitting required from this method.
- HOW TO COOK IT: Place the corned beef in a large pot. Sprinkle your spice packet on top and cover the meat with water. Bring to a boil and then turn the oven down to a simmer. Continue simmering the meat until tender, about 50 minutes per pound. Add the potatoes and carrots and cook them until tender. Toss in the cabbage and cook for an additional 15 minutes. Slice the meat across the grain and serve with the broth.
3. MICROWAVE IT
- PROS: It’s quick. Super quick. And the meat comes out surprisingly tender.
- CONS: If you’re sensitive to cooking food in the microwave, you might not prefer this method. Though this recipe is the quickest way to cook corned beef, it does call for an oven bag, which requires a bit of foreplanning on your part.
- HOW TO COOK IT: Place your corned beef in an Oven Bag (the type you’d cook a turkey in) with the corned beef spice packet, a splash of orange juice or vinegar, 2 tablespoons of brown sugar, and a cup of water. Tie the bag in a knot, shake it around to spread all of the ingredients throughout the bag, cut two or three small slits in the bag, then microwave it on high for 10 minutes. Reduce your microwave power to 60% (level 5 or 6) and cook it an additional 20 minutes. Allow the meat to stand for 30 minutes before serving.