Cranberry-Glazed Tempeh Avo-Slaw Saladkathypatalsky
If you are like me, the Thanksgiving leftovers have been long gobbled up. Stuffing, salad, rolls and more polished off over the weekend. But one bowl still remains huddled in the back of the fridge. The cranberry sauce. And one of my favorite things to do with leftover cranberry sauce is glaze my favorite veggie proteins with it. Last year I did a Soy-Cranberry Glazed Tofu. But this year I turned logs of tempeh into sticky sweet bliss with my leftover citrus cranberry sauce. Added a simple creamy cabbage slaw salad and some avocado and my delicious, back-to-work-Monday, detoxing on the holiday weekend salad was born. Get my Cranberry-Glazed Tempeh Avo-Slaw Salad recipe..
Cranberry-Glazed Tempeh Avo-Slaw Salad
vegan, serves 1, with leftover tempeh
1 package of tempeh, sliced into about 8 “logs”
1/2 -3/4 cup leftover cranberry sauce (jelly or whole berry)
2 Tbsp safflower oil
a few pinches of fresh pepper
salt to taste OR 1-2 tsp soy sauce or tamari
optional: 1 Tbsp brown sugar or maple syrup for added sweetness
1/2 avocado, sliced
Easy Slaw Salad
2 cups shredded cabbage
1/2 cup shredded white or sweet onion
2 Tbsp Vegenaise (vegan mayo)
1 1/2 Tbsp seasoned rice vinegar
1/8 tsp fine black pepper
1. Heat a saute pan on high with safflower oil. Add in the tempeh and sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper. Rotate logs until some oil has been absorbed and all sides sizzle into a nice golden color. If adding additional sweetener, add now – over top hot tempeh.
2. Turn heat to medium and carefully add in the cranberry sauce one tablespoon at a time until the logs are coated in sticky sauce. Continue to sauté for a few minutes. You can add in as much or as little cranberry sauce as you’d like. Salt/pepper to taste or add in that splash of soy sauce.
3. Cool tempeh in pan by removing from heat. The sauce will get sticky upon cooling.
4. For the cabbage – a simple good toss and fold with the dressing will do. Very easy and light. You want the cabbage to stay crunchy and zesty – yet with a nice hint of creaminess front he vegenaise. Chill in fridge if not serving right away or making head of time (the chilled slaw will be a a bit more marinated that “just made” slaw.
5. Add the cabbage, tempeh, leftover cranberry sauce from pan (or chilled unheated sauce as garnish). Slice avocado over top.
19 more vegan recipes for the family!