I thought I was a genius. (A small-scale one, anyway.) We’re here at the cabin, with limited days left and ingredients in the kitchen. The marshmallows have sat unroasted, it being far too rainy to attempt an outdoor fire. There are Rice Krispies in the cupboard. I thought I’d make Rice Krispie squares in an attempt to use up what’s left (and yes, appease the boys, who have a chronic case of the post-beach munchies, and myself, who secretly loves Rice Krispie squares). I had picked up some Peeps at the local drugstore, and thought I’d press them into the surface of each treat. How motherly am I? Of course I discovered it had already been done.
Nevertheless, I did learn a valuable tip from the PEEPS® website: freeze the bunnies first, and they’re easier to press into the surface of the soft Rice Krispie mixture. Works like a charm. These are perfect if you’re looking for a wheat/gluten-free, dairy free (if you use margarine), egg free treat to make for a party or send to school.
Crispy Bunny Treats
adapted from PEEPS®
Makes: 12 servings
- 12 PEEPS® marshmallow bunnies
- 6 cups crispy rice cereal
- 3 tablespoon butter or non-hydrogenated margarine
- 4 cups miniature marshmallows or 10 oz. regular marshmallows
- Freeze PEEPS® bunnies overnight. In a medium saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat, add cereal and stir until well coated.
- Evenly press the mixture into 13″ x 9″ cake pan, then firmly press the frozen PEEPS® Marshmallow Bunnies into crispy rice mixture.
- Let cool completely before cutting into squares.
For even more Peeps recipes, check out “It’s a Peep Show! 10 ways to serve this favorite marshmallow“