Spring makes me think of peas. And one of my favorite pea-studded recipe is this Curried Quinoa Wrap. An XL whole wheat tortilla is filled with sunny delights: avocado-citrus-carrot slaw and golden curried quinoa with bright green peas. This wrap is a healthy way to start spring. Get my recipe..
Protein Peas. Try veggie protein-packed peas this spring! Mom was right: Eat your peas. Per 1/2 cup of peas you’ll get 2g protein 2g fiber and only 40 calories!
I love Quinoa. I do. I love the stuff. And not only is it fun to eat these fluffy little grains – actually if you want to get technical – quinoa is a seed. They are super healthy and higher in protein than most grains. If you are curious to learn more about quinoa, here is a helpful posts:
Quinoa 101. Quinoa (pronounced keen-wa) Quinoa is high in protein (for a grain/seed), gluten free, rich in fiber, magnesium and iron.
But the best part about quinoa is it’s ability to get super fluffy in texture. More so than rice or even couscous. The quinoa “blooms” and unravels as it cooks and if you’ve set yourself up for success
Curried Quinoa Wrap with spring peas (more photos here)
vegan, makes 3 wraps (plus leftover quinoa)
1 1/2 Tbsp Muchi Curry
1 Tbsp EVOO
2 tsp sea salt
2 1/3 cups dry, unrinsed quinoa
3 cups water
1/2 cup apple cider or orange juice
fold into cooked quinoa:
1 1/2 cups frozen peas (thawed or warmed)
1/2 cup salted cashews
1/2cup sweet onion, chopped
2 Tbsp rice vinegar
1/4 cup tahini (add less for fluffier quinoa)
1/2 cup citrus, peeled/diced
2 Tbsp maple syrup (or agave)
2 Tbsp lemon juice
2 Tbsp orange juice
1 avocado, diced
1 cup shredded or matchstick carrots
1/2 cup shredded lettuce
2 Tbsp tahini
3 whole wheat XL burrito wraps
1. Prep your slaw and toss well. Place in fridge to marinate/chill until ready to assemble wraps.
2. Heat your quinoa ingredients on stove in large soup pot. Cook your quinoa First time cooking quinoa? -> Follow fluffy quinoa instructions here.
3. Add the toss-in ingredients to the arm quinoa.
4. Grab your extra large whole wheat wraps and start adding ingredients…
5. Fold, serve! I liked mine with a spicy red pepper chutney or harissa on the side.