Dinner and A Movie: Batty Brownies for BatmanKelsey Banfield
‘Tis the season for bats and ghouls and goblins which is where the inspiration for this recipe came from. My daughter was having a playdate last week and her friend told us he is going to be Batman for Halloween. He has never seen Dark Knight or anything like that, but he has read the kids comic books and seen the cartoon. That inspired me to bake these fun brownies frosting with orange cream cheese frosting and dotted with little bats. They seem like just the thing to eat when watching Batman, which happens to be on cable television all this coming weekend. You better believe we’ll be enjoying these while watching our movie after someone goes to bed tomorrow night!
1 cup sugar
1 stick unsalted butter, cut into cubes
1 pinch kosher salt
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
½ cup all-purpose flour, sifted
½ cup semisweet chocolate chips
For the frosting:
4 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/2 c. unsalted butter, room temperature
1 t. vanilla
2 c. confectioners’ sugar, sifted
For the bats:
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Butter and flour a 9×9 square baking dish, set aside.
2. Fit the food processor with a metal blade and add the sugar and butter. Pulse until the butter is thoroughly combined. Then, add the eggs and salt. Process continuously until mixture is smooth, about 30 seconds. Do not overbeat. Then, add the cocoa and flour, pulse until there is no visible cocoa or flour remaining. Stir in chocolate chips with a wooden spoon.
3. Spread batter into baking dishes and spread to make sure top is even. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until top is set. Cool on rack and cut into bars.
4. For the frosting: Beat the cream cheese, butter and vanilla together until smooth. Sift in the confectioners’ sugar and beat again until smooth.
5. To Make the Bats: Cut the wafers in half and cut out little bat wings with a paring knife. Alternatively, use a knife to cut bat wings out of chocolate graham crackers. Wedge the wings into the frosting so they are tilting up out of the frosting and place a Reese’s Piece in the middle.