Dulce de Leche Brownies & The Sweet Life in Paris Giveaway!Kelsey Banfield
I am a huge fan of the pastry chef, David Lebovitz. His blog is a continuous, often hilarious, tell-all about his life in Paris and contains some of the most delicious recipes ever. His cookbooks are completely swoon worthy and his memoir is, well, just about the funniest thing I’ve ever read. The Sweet Life in Paris is the book David wrote after he left his post as the head pastry chef at Chez Panisse in Berkeley and moved halfway around the world to Paris, France. Full of whitty commentary, often revolving around his eating adventures, David perfectly captures the nuances of Parisian life as observed by an American and shares some delicious recipes that can easily be made in the American kitchen. Luckily, The Sweet Life in Paris just came out in paperback and I am pleased to be offering 3 copies with this giveaway. See the rules for entry below. In the mean time, let’s talk brownies. These Dulce de Leche brownies are just one of the amazing recipes in David’s book. I have made them dozens of times, and they always please everyone who eats them. In fact, I made them just last week and took them to a friend’s house for a bbq, and she asked for the recipe. I highly recommend you give them a try. And after you have fallen in love with them like I have, think about all of the other amazing recipes like this that are in the book. Enter to win your very own copy!
Dulce de Leche Brownies
adapted from The Sweet Life in Paris by David Lebovitz
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
6 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
1/4 cup Dutch process cocoa powder
3 large eggs, room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup toasted walnuts, coarsely chopped (optional)
1 cup Dulce de leche
1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF and grease the bottom and sides of an 8 x 8 baking pan.
2. Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over low heat. Add the chocolate to the melted butter and stir it slowly until it is just melted. Then whisk in the cocoa powder until smooth. Stir in the eggs one at a time, then add the sugar, vanilla, flour and nuts one a time until the batter is completley smooth.
3. Spoon half of the batter into the prepared pan then dollop in one third of the Dulce de Leche, distributing it evenly over the batter. Drag a knife through it briefly to swirl it into the batter. Then add the remaining brownie batter to the pan and spoon the remaining Dulce de leche on top. Drag a knife through these dollops to swirl it into the batter slightly.
4. Bake the pan for 45 minutes, or until the center is just set. Allow the brownies to cool completely, then cut and serve.
Enter to win 1 of 3 copies for The Sweet Life in Paris:
1. Leave a comment sharing your favorite French food!
2. Contest runs from Monday April 4th at 9:00 ET through Monday April 11th at 9:00am ET.
3. Three separate winners will be picked by random.org. If you do not claim your prize within 48 hours a new winner will be picked.