Dulce De Leche Smothered Carrot Cake Whoopie PiesNicole Presley
Seems like the word “whoopie” is on everyones lips these days, with all this Valentine’s Day talk, and let’s face it, whoopie pies are the new doughnut. So, I thought up a Valentine’s Day treat to make your honey go “whoopie” in the kitchen! The combination of carrot cake cookies, a touch of cream cheese frosting, and the ever so lush dulce de leche drizzle over the top is the ultimate level of decadence. Enjoy!
Ingredients for dulce de leche smothered carrot cake whoopie pies:
- 1 – stick butter (room temp)
- 1/2 – cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 – cup sugar
- 1/8 – teaspoon salt
- 1 – teaspoon vanilla
- 1 – egg
- 1 – cup unbleached flour
- 1/2 – teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 – teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 – teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 – cup quick cooking oats
- 1/2 – cup sweetened coconut
- 3/4 – cup grated carrots
- 1/2 – cup craisins
- 1/2 – cup chopped pecans
Frosting and topping:
- 1 – 8 ounce package of cream cheese (room temp)
- 4 – tablespoons butter (room temp)
- 1 – cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 – teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 – cup dulce de leche
- In a mixer cream butter, dark brown sugar, sugar, salt and vanilla together. Beat on medium high until ultra creamy about 7 minutes.
- Add in egg and mix till completely combined.
- In a separate bowl mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and quick cooking oats.
- Add flour mixture to sugar/butter/egg mixture. Mix to combine.
- Once dough comes together, add in coconut, carrots, craisins, and pecans. Mix until completely combined.
- Refrigerate dough for 25 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.
- On a baking mat or wax paper lined cookie sheet drop dough by a heaping tablespoon 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 13 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cook completely.
- Make the frosting: In a mixer add cream cheese, and butter. Cream together. Add in powdered sugar and vanilla. Mix until completely combined.
- Take on cookie and smear two teaspoons of frosting on the flat side, then take another cookie and sandwich the frosting. Place on a serving tray. Once all whoopie pies are made drizzle the dulce de leche over the top.
For more recipes from Nicole Presley click over to her blog: Presley’s Pantry
Nicole loves pinning. Follow her on Pinterest.