Sweet Potato Casserole is a staple on most tables this Thanksgiving. As a kid, Thanksgiving was one of the few times we ever had sweet potatoes, and unfortunately, they were from a can. I never liked sweet potatoes until my mother-in-law introduced me to easy baked sweet potatoes. The sweet potatoes I had at her home were the first fresh sweet potatoes I ever had, and I instantly fell in love. She made them very often and served them just as you would any other ordinary baked potato. Soon after, I started making my sweet potato casserole from fresh potatoes too, and could not believe the difference in taste. Fresh potatoes are much sweeter and tastier. For this casserole, I added cream and butter for extra creaminess. I also included brown sugar and pumpkin pie spice, which is loaded with great fall spices, perfect for this dish.
Easy Sweet Potato Casserole with Marshmallows
4 large sweet potatoes, about 4 lbs
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup milk or cream
2 large eggs
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
2 cups marshmallows
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Wash sweet potatoes. Prick them with a fork all over. Back in the oven until soft, about 45 minutes. You can also microwave sweet potatoes on high until soft.
2. Remove potatoes from oven and drop oven temperature to 350 degrees. Let potatoes cool. Then remove skins and add them to a large bowl. Add butter, milk or cream, eggs, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice and salt to potatoes. Mash the potatoes and other ingredients together until well combined.
3. Transfer potatoes to a 8 x 8 casserole dish and bake at 350 degrees for 30 – 40 minutes. Then add marshmallows and return to oven for 5 – 10 minutes, or until marshmallows are lightly browned.
More Sweet Potato Recipes on Babble:
- Four Sweet Potato Casserole Recipes
- Baked Sweet Potatoes with Marshmallows & Pecans
- Sweet Potato Carrot Bisque
- Homemade Cinnamon Marshmallows for a Sweet Potato Casserole Upgrade