As soon as the school year begins, so do the crazy mornings — packing lunches and hunting down socks, homework, and children. They are easily one of the most overwhelming parts of any parent’s day. Adding a healthy breakfast to the mix can seem next to impossible, but it needn’t be unattainable.
Making sure kids — and their amazing parents — start the day with protein (and even vegetables!) can lay the foundations for balanced blood sugar and a more energetic start to the day. Besides, these loaded Eggs Florentine Breakfast Sandwiches are totally delicious.
To make sure these healthier breakfast sandwiches don’t set you back on time, do a little prep the night before — you’ll want to beat the eggs and prep the spinach ahead of time.
The following morning, you’ll just toast the bread, melt some cheese, and quickly cook the spinach and eggs. In less than 10 minutes, you’ll have a knockout breakfast filled with protein, vegetables, and whole grains. Not bad, right?
Eggs Florentine Breakfast Sandwiches
Makes: 2 sandwiches
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- sea salt to taste
- 4 slices whole grain bread
- 2 slices gruyere, or cheese of your choice
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, divided
- 2 cups spinach leaves
- 2 slices tomato
- Lightly beat together eggs, milk, and a pinch of sea salt. If preparing the night before, cover and set in the fridge. Wash and dry spinach. If prepping ahead of time, set in a sealed plastic container with a dry paper towel.
- Preheat oven or toaster oven. Toast bread, and then add a slice of cheese to 2 pieces of toast, slide back into oven and cook just until cheese has melted, 1-2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a skillet over medium heat. Melt 1/2 tablespoon butter, add spinach and a pinch of sea salt and sauté for 2 minutes. Remove to a bowl. Add remaining butter to skillet, lightly butter the inside of the canning rings, set in skillet, and pour scrambled egg mixture into the middle of each (eggs will run a bit — that’s fine). Cook eggs over medium heat until set, about 3-4 minutes. Then use a spatula to carefully remove rings (they’ll be hot), flip egg patties, and cook for a minute more.
- Layer spinach and eggs on melted cheese, add a tomato, and top with toast. Serve immediately.